My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Read Me Seymour, Read Me

Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia. ~E.L. Doctorow

Earlier this week, while in the throws of moving hell, a friend asked if I was going to write about moving.
“Probably not”
“It’s just so comical”
“You think it’s comical?”
“Yes it’s funny. You don’t write for us you write for other people. It’s comical”

I wasn’t sure whether to take this as an insult or to shrug it off. I thought about it and realized how correct she was. Lizzie touched on this earlier, which got me contemplating the idea of blogging even more, and why I really do it. I’m not very narcissistic and public speaking scares the shit out of me. A public speaking professor when critiquing a speech of mine, once said that I had a very strong presence and therefore compelling people to want to listen to me; which only made me more freaked out.
Although I want to be a politician, I become uncomfortable talking about myself to people I don’t know very well, therefore I come off socially awkward and unapproachable. In reality I’ve become standoffish and possibly bitchy due to elementary school. I’ll write more about it later, but I was often sent in the hall for talking too much and from second grade through seventh grade, I was labeled the annoying girl who talked too much.

I’m turned off by narcissism, especially those that are loud and/or obnoxiously self absorbed and narcissistic. Call me crazy, but no one wants to hear you talk about you for hours. Blogging is an act of self absorption I suppose, but it’s also a rather anonymous activity and no one is ever forced to read about it, unlike being forced to actively listen to someone drone on about themselves.

Honestly I don’t blog just to see what I have to write and then read it over and over again. I blog because I kept hearing “when I was out of college I didn’t have a job for 5 years and had to work at Burger King” stories. I wanted to share this splendid first year out of school with others, with hopes of making them think that maybe it won’t be that bad. I enjoy it because it’s a fun and humorous way to “meet” other people and see what they have to say about anything and everything, it’s like a whole new world has opened up. And I will readily admit that I check out who has been reading and where they're from, because I'm curious and I just really want to see how unpopular I am.

Regardless, I do get bored with myself and I’m sure my readers (all five of them) get bored with me as well, so I’m always open to suggestions of other fun and exciting things to write about and I LOVE comments and knowing what others have to say.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie said...

At the risk of sounding like an obsequious SK fan, I don't get bored of you! I check your blog everyday!

5:57 PM  
Blogger industry whore said...

you have six readers now... ;)

8:01 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

word...6 readers! :-)

I can always count on Lizzie to read and leave comments...thanks man!

8:15 PM  
Blogger Wombat & Aspen said...

So you want to be a politician? You could store up some fun for years in the future by planting some intentionally juicy, but bogus stuff in your blog. Someone will find it during your campaign. Then you deftly repudiate all naysayers with a withering speech and flabbergast your opposition.

How many current pollies would like control of their own histories? Well, here's your chance.

Wombat

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.