My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Temporomandibular

Oh the nerves, the nerves; the mysteries of this machine called man! Oh the little that unhinges it, poor creatures that we are! ~Charles Dickens

Temporomandibular disorders (TMD) occur as a result of problems with the jaw, jaw joint and surrounding facial muscles that control chewing and moving the jaw.Possible causes include: Stress, which can cause a person to tighten facial and jaw muscles or clench the teeth

The temporomandibular disorder was first noticed during the last few days in Madrid. Waking up with headaches every morning, I thought it was the food finally getting to me-all those eggs, fries, and the wine. I returned from Madrid on a Friday and graduated that same weekend on Sunday. By Monday I had called my “contacts” about job opportunities and on Tuesday a former boss died of a brain tumor. I was also getting headaches every morning.

“You’re grinding your teeth again”

Last year and I can no longer remember why, I had been grinding my teeth to the point where it was painful to open my mouth. My dentist said it was stress and prescribed advil and a cold washcloth on my jaw. What the hell was I worried about?
I’ve always had more than I ever needed and gotten whatever I have wanted and yet I am more neurotic and get more stressed out than anyone I know.

“That’s such a neurotic disease”, proceeded my laughter from Elizabeth.

Stress from graduating, going home after four months away. I had literally run out of money, to which my mother gave me Suze Orman’s book and told me to be more careful. I was unemployed and I needed to find a cheaper place to live. My father had been in the hospital for months and one my former bosses had died. I felt I had a reason to be stressed.

Change is huge and just comes at you. Yes there are warnings but no matter how you prepare yourself the change comes at you like a Hummer, and you’re standing there in the middle of Ward Circle waiting for it to hit you. It’s scary. I had spent four months in a place that I dreaded going to in the first place with people that I thought hated me for the longest time. That Hummer comes at you, and thankfully swerves, you survive it. That’s what change is and most of the time you get through it unharmed.

Graduation came and went, through the haze of jet lag. I found a job within six weeks, which I’ve heard is pretty good, especially for a senior who had been out of the country for four months prior. I found a new apartment My father will be ok. And my APR has gone down. My jaw still aches so I’ll need to get my first dental appliance.

But I'm still relatively unharmed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.