My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

A Spanish Thought

It's never safe to be nostalgic about something until you're absolutely certain there's no chance of its coming back. ~Bill Vaughn

Y en la distancia te puedo ver
Cuando tus fotos me siento a ver
Y en las estrellas tus ojos ver
Cuando tus fotos me siento a ver
Cada vez que te busco te vas
Y cada vez que te llamo no estás
Es por eso que debo decir que tú sólo en mis fotos estás

Juanes has been in my head for the past several days. The way I sang Fotografias to myself while drunk, from my apartment in Ventas to Barajas. I cried the entire time, about something that for months I never wanted and yet all too soon it was over. Only those who have been abroad, know that you really can’t talk to anyone about it other than the obligatory “It was good. I learned a lot. Yes I’m fluent” bullshit. You can’t really express everything that happened there and how beautiful Sevilla (not Seville, say Seville and I’ll drop kick your ass) is. There’s no way to express Cantabria or walking drunk between Noviciado and Serrano at 3am. God help me if I have to explain Sprint, tortilla, Alhambra, Los Reyes Catolicos, the importance of 1492, or the existence of Euskadi.

One day soon-at least I can hope-I’ll be able to sort out the whole Madrid thing. The crying when I got there, my threats to leave by February, my drunken debauchery, punching people, drunken debauchery, and crying when I left (and yes I meant to put drunken debauchery in there twice because I was drunk a lot). I want to write about Spain when I stop getting that funny feeling in my tummy because I miss it so much and when I can write a coherent sentence about the randomness of España. Because right now I can tell you, all of my Spain thoughts are just swimming around. Waiting to be written down and talked about and divulged. They are waiting to be wanted, offered and shared.

Yup I get teary eyed about Spain, and I have no qualms about it. There are days when a smell or a sight reminds me of it then all of the memories just come tumbling back.

One day soon, I will write about Spain. And I hope that you-dear reader-will love it as much as I did.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie said...

That's just how I felt about my year in France. It sounds weird, but it took me a while to get over. I still feel nostalgic thinking about it. I too hated it when people asked me "How was France?" "It was great" just wasn't sufficient to sum up a year of my life.

By the way, I used "Seville" in a post. Sorry!

5:42 PM  
Blogger mango said...

Ditto my year in Japan, 9 months in Europe and 2 years in the UK.

How do you sum up that experience and express it in an hour of talking, let alone a sentence or two? I normally say 'yeah, I loved it, it was amazing' and let them take the conversation from there - if they want to know more, they'll ask.

The thing is, they rarely want to know more. But that's ok. I know now that that's just how it is.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Cyber Preacher said...

How much for de women???

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.