My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Comfort Levels

"I just wish my mouth had a backspace key. " ~Author Unknown

I attended Girl Scout camp for 13 years. I went to college in DC for four years. I went to Spain for study abroad. I’ve had six jobs/internships in the last four years. Despite all of these things, I don’t do new people. I don’t like change. Mind you, I make friends easily and I am relatively outgoing. It’s the anticipation that gets me and drives me into the ground. Anticipation that leads to anxiety as to whether or not I’ll do well or if so and so will like me or if I’ll like this new place that I have ended up.

I know that I cannot stop change and new things. Try as I might, that shit keeps coming and I keep bobbing and weaving, hoping to avoid a train wreck that is me completely fucking up, therefore causing others to dislike me. I may not be the person that “they” (whoever they are) were hoping to meet or to work with or to deal with. I stay in my own little comfort zones in order to keep myself from getting hurt.

Slowly though, I am starting to deal. It’s not like I’ve never endured change before or a new place before. I am re-navigating my way around DC, trying to find new places and new things (like the Whole foods with ALCOHOL on P street). Not thinking about what I come across. I want and must meet new people that aren’t part of my core group of friends that I went to college with. Must move on. Wednesday night I’ll be making a big step and meeting people who may absolutely despise me. This will be completely out of my normal comfort level. So far though, they relatively like me, but with this group, there are new dilemmas and questions of “so what do I call you in real life?” I’m getting nervous just thinking about it, but at least I know that we have one very similar thing in common. Well, two if you count a shared like/love of alcohol to be a similarity that will bring people together.

14 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie said...

I know just how you feel. I'm sure everyone will love you though. Have fun!

7:47 PM  
Blogger MKD said...

I think you should go. Wear a red rose on your lapel and look around longingly. Works every time. Swear.

10:06 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

As someone who's been to an event of this nature twice with this group of folks I can assure you of the following...

- You will know the real names of the people you meet within moments of meeting them. Even now I have to sometimes catch myself when commenting on blogs to make sure I don't throw someone's real name out there.

- There's no reason to be nervous. We are a friendly conversative lot and I'm pretty sure those who come to the happy hour wouldn't unless they liked new people.

You'll be just fine.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Rhinestone Cowgirl said...

Since I-66 encouraged us to do so on his blog, I'm stopping by to encourage you to come out too! :) This is my second HH, and I had a great time at the first.

See you tonight, I hope.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Pretty in Pink said...

OMG I was a Girl Scout too! 13 years, you must have your Gold! We can talk thin mints tonight!

Smooches

9:46 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

You can call me Kathryn. ;)

See you tonight!

10:09 AM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

I'm painfully shy myself. I know what it's like to go through that panic when you walk into a room by yourself and don't know what to expect. Being queen of the social butterflies myself, even I get that anxious feeling (hence, why I'm always late for everything I do).

I promise, that anxiety will go away after 30 seconds with these people. We're all in the same boat, really.

Look forward to meeting you!

10:52 AM  
Blogger allison said...

I met my fellow NYC bloggers once, and I was so nervous, I had to stop for a drink on my way to meet them for drinks.

Now, they are some of my closest friends in this city.

No regrets. Go for it.

And? Whole Foods with alcohol...are you sure you haven't died and crossed over to the heavenly land?

11:22 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Ok, is it tonight yet? Now instead of being nervous I'm getting a little excited (or maybe I'm just in need of a drink). Thank you all for the ease of fears and I'm sure that this evening will be a good time.

and yes Allison, whole foods with alcohol is my own slice of heaven.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Go the other way. Become Xenophobic and a Misanthrope.

Washington Cube Was Here. #406

12:20 PM  
Blogger A Unique Alias said...

I'm a misanthropic xenophobe, but I'll be there wearing a broad grin nonetheless. I've been to like three of these things, now, Heather B., and my palms still sweat every time. I ask myself "Do I really want to go in?" and tell myself "It would be sooo much easier to just turn around . . ."

I've yet to regret going, though :-)

1:26 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Glad that Washington Cube finally made it.

3:23 PM  
Blogger SexandMoxie said...

Have you tried DC Young Pro events? I think those ProsintheCity events are great ways to meet people.


Cheers,

Moxie

http://moxieblog.typad.com

7:58 PM  
Blogger Sub Girl said...

that's the kind of thing that makes me nervous, so props to you! was it fun??

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.