My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Sans Blackberry

"Technology... is a queer thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. " ~C.P. Snow, New York Times, 15 March 1971

I admired those on the Hill, blackberry in hand 24/7, probably getting important messages on the status of the country. There was such a time. I cannot emphasize ‘was’ enough.

Yes, I wanted a blackberry, and now thanks to the good lord in heaven, I am more than grateful not to have one. The fact that someone, from work, can get a hold of you at any place and time, whenever they pleased, and really you have no recourse if you don’t reply. What? You just didn’t get it? Bullshit. It’s like I have this little bit of freedom, that most people in my office don’t have. When something happens (like say encountering the most inept people in the world, save, for me), I have the ability to say, no, I didn’t know about whatever the situation was until I get into the office, on Monday. So thankfully, I can enjoy an entire weekend, without that feeling of uneasiness. Trust me, I need it (do we recall the email escapade of last week-never will I check work email from home again).

Once again, there were issues over the weekend and without a handy dandy blackberry, I was none the wiser. Which means that by Monday, it’s a moot point. Therefore my sanity is saved and I can enjoy an entire weekend without a single thought of work.

Of course now that I’ve written this, the Nextel gods, will strike down their mighty hands and I will be forced to walk around with that stupid contraption. But until then, I’m free.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

I understand. This is very much a be careful what you wish for. Sometimes I think up wonderful lies about dropping my cell in a pond or the toilet, or the cat taking off with it. But of course I always answer it.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

I completely agree. I don't know what the big deal about them is. I could have had one at the last job and all of my coworkers were excited about getting them but there was no way I wanted any part of that. As it was, I relied on the old "I don't get cell reception in my apartment" line (which was actually true) to avoid having to go back to the office at midnight when people called. I didn't want to deal with those people period. Why would I want to ensure that they could reach me anywhere, anytime?

5:05 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

There's still caller ID. And you don't have to tell them it was ON, right?? Liked your blog. Brought back my memories of DC and the first year out of college...

9:32 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

If I had one, I've decided that I might toss it in the toilet and claim that it was my alcoholism that made me do it. Even with a cell, people can get ahold of me enough, it's so annoying.

Oh and if I forget to put a title on a post, tell me. it's like walking around with no pants on.

And Nic, glad to be of service and help remind you of your first year of the real world. Or I guess I should say, my apologies.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Noisette said...

Ha ha. I have a blackberry. It's a "welcome to the office!" present that every new associate gets when she/he walks into this place. And yes, they can get to you anytime, anywhere. I'm headed to Africa in 2 days and I can't wait to have a legitimate excuse for not checking my blackberry for a week. Stupid thing.

2:35 PM  
Blogger MKD said...

We have color-coded pens where I work. Oh and we can finally check our email from home. I love my job.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

noisette-Africa is the perfect excuse. people I work with went to Mexico and theirs weren't working properly, so there's hope for you

MKD-ahhh the sarcasm. color coded pens?? I want some!

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.