My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Fabulous Life of Bloggers

Subtitled: I really couldn’t think of a good title so I came up with that craptastic title above

There was a time, long long ago-ok, whatever, last week-when I hadn’t a care in the world as to how I looked walking around DC drunk and/or dressed like a bag lady who shops at Coach and Gap. The odds of seeing someone, I knew were pretty slim to none, and if I had, so what? They already knew me and knew that I was weird and sometimes I can’t dress myself. Then one day while traipsing around Bethesda, with a giant coffee stain on my shirt talking to myself, I thought of my blog and that people from the Blogosphere live and work in Bethesda and holy hell, what would I do if they saw me? While my blog isn’t anonymous, I have posted my picture once (if you had your picture taken with Alfre Woodward, who also resides on Wisteria Lane, you’d show that shit off as well), but still what if. I’m not all that popular in the blogosphere nor am I all that cool, but still I feared it. Lizzie, touched on this earlier, but more than anything, I fear meeting a possible “blogebrity” in the real world. Will I look good? Do I approach them? Is it the same as seeing a movie or television celebrity? Do you leave them alone?

Last week Amy emailed me (I had emailed her some time ago) asking if I could babysit. Could I say no? Umm no. Because come on now it’s the Queen of Everything*. So is one able to freak out when meeting an awesome blogger? Under most circumstances, I would have, but I didn’t. I was cool and we talked about her boobs and whether or not Noah has a bed time. It was nice, better yet, it was easy because I knew about her and she (kind of) knew about me. You see that’s the plus side of blogging and then meeting your fellow bloggers, they already know so much about you so there’s no need to be nervous and all “what do I say?” You already know my likes and dislikes and that I’m a neurotic freak. There’s no need for the small talk, because I can ask you not just about your brother, but how your brother is doing after the death of his hamster (ok I made that shit up, you get the point).

To be honest, the one thing I forget about bloggers (and I am dead serious here) is that they aren’t-we aren’t-just some people in a computer. We’re real people with real lives who are putting ourselves out there. And it’s nice to know** that people like us and if you were to see one of the non-anonymous ones on the street, please say hi.

Ok, I like to feel special and loved. Shut it.

*The Queen of Everything, was great and Noah man is the cutest freaking thing in the world and the sweetest baby. It was a pleasure babysitting for him and for them. This is a new mom, who trusted me with her baby and she was awesome about it. Not one phone call, except to say that they would be late. Those pictures of Noah do not do that child justice. Oh, and Amy looked good in her suit and is considerably smaller than me and I’ve never had a baby. And Jason is really tall. The End.

**By the way, it's also awesome when you DE-LURK! just a thought there...but seriously think about it.

20 Comments:

Blogger MKD said...

You're my favorite Heather.

I've seen you like 6 times and you've yet said "hi."

10:00 PM  
Blogger aibee said...

I've delurked.

Does that mean I'm awesome?

10:30 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

My boyfriend had a blogebrity sighting. He saw SK the other day in New York.

I'm sure knowing that has changed your life. Sorry, it's late and I got nuthin.

I will say hi if I ever see you though! Remember how moms used to always say wear clean underwear in case you get in a car crash and have to go to the hospital? (or was it only my mom?) Well, it's kind of the same thing now. I have this "uniform" of my favorite track pants and Target hoodie that I wear EVERYWHERE EVERYDAY. I feel like I should make an effort to look nicer when I leave the house now though. In case I meet a fellow blogger. What if I meet someone "in uniform" and the next day he/she posts "I met Lizzie and she is fugly!" Oh, the horror.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

one more thing (sorry to hijack!), what's all this "I'm not al that popular in the blogosphere" crap? Pshaw!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

mkd: you know, if you weren't sarcastic and cynical, I'd believe you. HA!

aibee: yay for delurking! yes that makes you awesome

lizzie: did Patrick say anything to her, or was it a oh look who it is, must tell lizzie kind of thing? So now I may know who you are if I see a short girl with brown hair, who looks like a runner, wearing track pants and a hoodie.
And dude, I'm only popular to about 10 people, oh wait 11 now.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Mirella said...

I just discovered you, like, yesterday, so I've only been lurking for less than 24 hours. But I'll delurk nonetheless :)

9:53 AM  
Blogger Mappy B said...

dang, i'm so out of it. what's delurking? would i like to do it? it sounds interesting. how would i feel if i was delurked? would i feel ashamed? embarrased? excited? would i want to delurk again? :) Brandi aka. MappyB.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

OR, you know, you could see them in real life and have a drink with them. Or whatever.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Rhinestone Cowgirl said...

That's so cool about babysitting for Noah! He is sooooooo absolutely cute in his pictures that I can't believe he could POSSIBLY be cuter in real life. :)

10:36 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Mirella: Welcome! You're probably one of those poor Amalah readers who wandered over here and you got me. I'm sorry, but yay for delurking!

Mappy B: delurking is something that you've already done, you commented. It just means, those that read, shoud say hi, because I need to be loved or whatever.

Kathryn: funny you should say that, because the other day on the metro I saw this woman who looked exactly like you and I got all excited, but then it wasn't you. then I was sad :-( But yeah, it's fun to drink with your fellow bloggers.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Sharkbait said...

Hey Heather-you're one of my favorites, so quit all thah popularityy garbage! It's all relative (or whatever0. haha

I think you're fun and if I were to see you on the street I'd say hi. Although I am not much of a MD'er-more VA'er myself..We can always get together anytime!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

RC: those pictures of him, do not do him justice. He's so freaking cute and he has the tiniest little feet. And even better, he was an awesome sleeper. Yay!

Sharkbait: yay! new friends, I love new friends. Umm but, I don't go to VA, even though I live on top of VA, for some reason I never make it over there. The only thing separating me and VA is a freaking bridge, but I go to MD like all the time. I'm weird like that.

10:51 AM  
Blogger green_canary said...

I would totally say YO if I saw you on the street! It would give me something to blog about :-)

12:37 PM  
Blogger Sharkbait said...

Yeah never really been to MD much either. But my office is moving that way in the spring so who knows.

And DC is always a doable compromise. :-) Just let me know

2:30 PM  
Blogger Isabel said...

So *you* are the babysitter we read about earlier in the week from Amalah. You are so famous. I love that!!

It seems that the only bloggers I know live nowhere near Seattle, so I have no fears of anyone recognizing me. Phew.

(but why is it that the only bloggers I have come across don't live on the West Coast? They are mostly on the East Coast. Please explain!)

2:47 PM  
Blogger Pink Lemonade Diva said...

I thought I recogized a local philly blogger at a bar trivia night, but was too embarrassed that I'd be wrong if I went up to him. That's the thing if you're going to get all blogebrity on someone - you better know for sure!!!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Sub Girl said...

so that WAS you with the coffee-stained shirt i saw in bethesda! just kidding. i was probably roaming around w/ a similar coffee stain on my shirt!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

green canary: thanks! the funny part is, I'd probably something to the effect of yo what up to you anyway.

sharkbait: we'll get together. no worries. we also have that whole upstate NY thing in common. awesome.

Isabel: sooo not famous, but yes, it was me. I don't know why a lot of bloggers live on the east coast. I guess I never paid attention, because a lot of them reside near me and/or in places that I frequent.

PLD: most of the people that I would recognize I feel like I've seen enough pictures of, but let's hope I don't mistake some stranger for a blogger. Because that would be a tad bit embarrassing.

SG: glad I'm not the only one! ha.

4:13 PM  
Blogger janet said...

I guess I am a little late to this post but let me just say I am SO jealous you got to sit for Noah! Can I be your backup or something? That has gotta be a fabulous job.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Namaste said...

Hahaha. I hear you on the blog celebrity bit. So funny. This is why I am so thankful that I've never posted a pic of my face, even though I've allowed Cookie to do it on hers. It would take some serious blog-stalking to make that connection!

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.