My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Homegirl

"You can never go home again, but the truth is, you can never leave home, so it's alright"-Maya Angelou

I find that there's nothing more miserable than fighting off a cold. The sniffles aren't a valid excuse for taking a day off of work, and anyway, I'd end up saying to myself "it's only a cold" and exsercising my right to prance around Georgetown for a day. Nope, there will be none of that. Just a lot of me sniffling my way through the remainder of the weekend. Now combine that cold with snow, and you've got a lovely winter here in the capital of the great state of New York.
It's snowing, I have a cold, and I found out the hard way that we don't have a corkscrew in the house. I came thisclose to opening a bottle of wine with my teeth last night. Though despite this trifecta of catastrophic things-right up there with famine, war, and poverty-I feel good. Yup, it's cold, but that's upstate New York for you. A place where four wheel drive is a necessity (thus the fleet of jeeps in my driveway) and where wearing uggs is highly recommended, because holy hell it's cold. A place where no matter what, my mommy still takes care of me, as she made sure all of my cashmere had been dry cleaned and found the receipt with the warranty for my ipod, so I suppose I can forgive the lack of cork screw. I still have my friends and Friendly's and a brother who lets me hug him even though he's 14 times my size and a mother who never lets me hug her but does keep a Precor elliptical machine in the basement and a four year old cousin who can (and will) harlem shake upon request. And that my friends is what going home is all about. Now I'm off to clean off the car. Welcome home.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie said...

Faced with the cruel joke of a bottle of wine and no corkscrew, I once used a knife to cut and shove the cork back into the bottle of wine. Sure, every sip was chunky with cork but it was probably a $2 bottle anyway. plus, desperate times call for desperate measures (desperate times probably being a random wednesday night some time a few years ago). After that I learned my lesson and started drinking wine out of a box. Yes, I'm classy like that.

I thought you were going to block me from your blog?! Thanks a lot! You know I don't have the willpower to stay away on my own.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

I've recently found out that there is in fact a corkscrew in the house. hallelujah. And yes I am blocking you, don't come crying to me (or the blogosphere) when you don't have your papers done. I say that with love.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

aha! look how crafty I am. I got around your block. And of course I'm going to come crying to you when I don't finish my papers. 1) I'm considering it your fault for your insufficient blocking and 2) who else would I complain to? Isn't that the whole point of my blog? to complain?

10:56 PM  
Blogger mango said...

I remember one horrible night before a date when I was desperate for some wine and couldn't find the corkscrew anywhere. Horrible thing that, innit? It was doubly bad because I knew we had one, but even ripping the house apart didn't turn it up. So I took a few big sips of the only other booze available - sake...

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.