My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Lost and Found

"There are truths on this side of the Pyranees, which are falsehoods on the other. " ~Blaise Pascal

I’ve lost my social security card and my birth certificate. I’ve been in denial about losing both at the same time, but they’re really missing. Though I remember getting them both back a year ago from the Spanish embassy when I got my Visa. And don’t be a Peg and give me shit about not having known where the keys to my identity have been for almost a year. I mean, I still have my passport and my (old) license. Imagine if I had lost either of those; I’d be stuck sober for weeks. That’s a bigger fear than someone possibly having my social security card. At least I can drink myself into a stupor to take my mind off of it. I’ve been going on a rampage (for the past four days) of looking for them. And on the way, I found my map of Amsterdam, that I used to get from Anne Frank’s House back to my hotel, my plane tickets to Morocco, Amsterdam and Barcelona, and my guides to Lisbon and Fatima. While losing my social security card and birth certificate are shitty, they’re replaceable; losing a map to the cheapest and/or best coffee shop* in Amsterdam is not. And that my friends, is called putting things in perspective.

*Yup. Coffee Shop. Oh like you wouldn't go if you had the chance...Whatever.

11 Comments:

Blogger Sharkbait said...

Goodluck finding them-but you are right they can be replaced.

The plane tickets and maps, cannot-and then when you want to go back, what do you do? I agree, you have your priorities in check and you obviously know what is important in life.

Preach on sista.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Sub Girl said...

i'd go to that coffee shop! and yes, good luck. replacing that stuff is a pain, but it can be done.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

I can so relate to this. I lost my license for a month a few weeks back. And I totally agree- the other stuff is way more important. I'd be heartbroken if I lost my boarding pass to the ticket to France in 1998.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Bone said...

I lost my SS card a few years ago. Got a new one. Which was surprisingly (and disturbingly) easy. Then found the old one. Ain't that always the way...

12:51 PM  
Blogger Dirk the Feeble said...

I found both of those things, and would like you to know that you may no longer go by the identity Heather B - it's mine.

2:09 PM  
Blogger wunelle said...

SS card? License? I have my Speedy Rewards card to help me get free Diet Coke! You can have it if it will help!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

harkie: I've given up trying to find them. And I do have priorities...if I can't find a good coffeeshop when I go back to Amdam, I'll be pretty pissed.

SG: it really won't be that bad to replace that stuff. But it will cost $45 to get back my birth certificate.

Lizzie: I think I'd be more upset about the license...no bars, which is really sad.

Bone: yep, that's often the case

Armaedes: good luck with that. you also get a grand total of $219. lucky you.

wunelle: oh thanks. I think I might have some M&Ms though after work :-)

3:20 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

that should say "sharkie" not "harkie"

3:22 PM  
Blogger Sharkbait said...

Sharkie, harkie- at this point on a Tuesday, it really doesn't matter much to me.

All I know is that I don't want to go to the gym and I really should tonight :-(

Ok enough

3:51 PM  
Blogger Neil said...

Since you don't "exist" for a while until you get your IDs back, why don't you do something wild and crazy? No one will know it was you.

4:11 PM  
Blogger AJH said...

I wouldn't say you don't exist. I haven't had a birth certificate or social security card for years. As long as you know your ss# and have a passport, you're fine. They are all you really need.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.