My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Not Quite Quarter Life Crisis

“Who doesn’t want a shortcut to greatness?”-The Contender

Subtitled: holy hell maybe I should have a plan so that I don’t end up finding myself at 34 and losing all ability to buy Tiffany’s and Coach.

There’s either rush to get it or procrastinate the hell out of everything to the point where I’ve fucked myself about 45 times. No happy gray in-between area where I can let things go. Nope. Just go 85mph or put on the brakes. I’m not sure if it’s genetic or not, but that’s how I am and I have to just deal I suppose. How many days can I sit and go on about how slowly everything is going right now? I’m boring myself to bits and what I really need to do is lay out my plans. Even though the best laid plans get blown the fuck up, I like to at least have a reference point. A focus point if you will, so that when the pain gets to me, I’ll have my eyes on the prize. It’s nice to finally have things in place for me to focus on. Like property* and a Prius.

My being goal oriented is nothing new. When I decided to move to DC at the tender age of 11-the same age at which I realized that Congress may quite possibly the coolest thing ever (yeah I said it)-I then began to research school that I would send my ‘yet to be conceived because there was yet to be even remote signs of menstruation’ children to in 30 years. For the record it’s a toss up between Georgetown Day School and Sidwell as I’ve found that Visitation and NCS kids are too fucking obnoxious when it comes to getting their Chipotle. But I’ve digressed; the point is that I’ve been feeling the sting that is, what will be next and I need to be able to plan accordingly. I can’t go around spending frivolously anymore without nary a dollar saved because the padres aren’t to keen on getting “Pretty please I need money” phone calls anymore and then having to save my ass. It’s not fair to them nor is it fair to me to be broke all the time. It leads to uneasiness and a very hurt jaw; I’d prefer to be at ease and not eating puréed vegetables, thank you very much.

I enjoy stability. I enjoy knowing what is going to come next and even if what I had planned to come next doesn’t happen, and then it’s usually because something better and more exciting came my way. And while I’ll never been absolutely sure about what will be next, I do know that this here kids, is the quarter life crises and it’s nice to know that the best is yet to come.



*holy hell, property. PROPERTY. Like a place to live in and establish a permanent residence that doesn’t involve disgruntle damn near 30 former only child roommates who act like they’re seven. Property! As in a mortgage and a hefty down payment. I think someone has replaced my actual brain with one of a real life adult. Motherfuckers.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mappy B said...

quarter life crises suck, to say the least. i am finally getting my act together, so i think that you are doing fine where you are. savings are good. i want to invest. invest in some sephora. haha. just kidding. kind of.

1:36 PM  
Blogger AJH said...

Yep. There are days when I feel overwhelmed by the big things still on my to do list: get a real job, get health insurance, find an apartment, get an roommate. Being an adult sucks. But then I remeber that I can buy alcohol legally, drive, and vote which sometimes makes up for the bad things. Sometimes.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Sharkbait said...

Yeah-I have had that crises. About 3 or 4 months ago, when I felt I had no plan and was going nowhere.

I changed jobs and decided I was going to law school regardless.

It's not easy, that's for sure. Nobody wants to grow up, but then one day all of a sudden-you're there.

3:00 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

You should submit to Quarter-Life-Crisis.com.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Mappy B: well thank you, though I would like to invest in some Coach, but to each her own.

AJH: thankfully I have a real job, health insurance, etc., but yup it sucks, a lot. No amount of democratic rights can even remotely make up for all of this though.

Sharkbait (or is it sharkie now?): I'm glad everyone goes throug this, I don't feel as ridiculous now.

DCC: Awesome-ness.

6:24 PM  
Blogger babyjewels said...

Oh, man. I've had that crisis, about 8 years ago. It took me a long time to finally break out the cycle of crappy jobs, and mediocore savings and take a chance on something better. For me, I was my biggest obstacle, I really didn't have faith in myself. baby steps or its all too much I think.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Neil said...

Sorry to tell you this, but after 25, the crisises continue. It just one of the crappy parts of being an adult.

10:55 PM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

I agree with Neil on that one. There is always going to be something to f*ck up your life. I THINK the trick is to have as much stability as you can so when the crap happens at least you have a safe place to land...

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.