My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, December 30, 2005

Decades

"It takes about ten years to get used to how old you are." ~Quoted by Raymond A. Michel in The Leaf

A few summers ago when I was 16, I worked at a Girl Scout camp. One day I was at the infermary with another counseler-Ice (we all had camp names, mine was Mushu by best friend was Seneca, moving on...)- and another camper who must have been about 8 or 9 years old. At one point while standing there, I started to sing "Ice, Ice Baby" at Ice. She rolled her eyes and the camper just looked at me funny. I asked her why she wasn't singing and Ice looked back at me and said "She doesn't know that song, she wasn't alive."

Wasn't alive? People weren't alive in 1992? The fuck?

Last night I was watching E! THS*: Home Improvement and Jonathan Taylor Thomas was talking about his role in Lion King in 1994. 1994. Why is it that I feel like Lion King came out last week? I do that with Clueless too, I still feel like I was sitting in the movie theater last night watching Cher and Dionne. But no, that shit came out over 10 years ago. I was once babysitting for a 6 year old and we were watching Fresh Prince of Belair on Nick at Nite. Ok if something is on Nick at Nite and I can remember it being on, that's a problem. While we were watching the episode where Will teaches Ashley how to fight- "mind yo' business that's all just mind yo' business"- I told my charge that I could remember when this episode first came on. He replied "Dang, you're old**."

Now I know how my parents feel.



*if you don't know what E! THS is then you must leave now, because seriously
**Yes, I know I'm not old. But to a 6 year old I am, to my mother and every person over the age of 22 who reads this blog, I'm about 14. My aunt thinks I look like I'm 12. Awesome.

23 Comments:

Blogger Sharkbait said...

I love mushu from mulan- am guessing thats where you got it from...

you are way too cool to be my friend.

girl scouts forever.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Bone said...

You think that makes you feel old. Just wait until you blog something and one of your readers says something like, "Sir Bone, that was before my time."

I love E! True Hollywood Story. Almost as good as VH-1 Behind The Music :-)

11:42 AM  
Blogger Larissa said...

Oh my gosh, I can still recite the Fresh Prince theme song!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Sharkie: you're so good, that's where I got the name from. Yeah, I'm so cool, I went to girl scout for 13 years. Very cool.

Sir Bone: now which one of your wonderful, charming and hilarious readers said that?? oh wait...

Larissa: yeah me too. My brother has it as his ringtone.

3:23 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

The way I see it, as long as we stay in touch with the pop culture of today's youth, we can still 'seem' cool, even when we're busting out the running man to "Can't Touch This..."

10:25 PM  
Blogger Southie said...

But the Lion King is timeless. It has to be. The whole "circle of life" thing and whatnot.

You're not old. Try being 24. That's old.

1:12 PM  
Blogger babyjewels said...

My four year old told me he was going to marry a little girl in his class. I said you're too young to get married and he said, what do I have to be, like 10? I said, no, much older. How old were you when you married daddy? 34. He nearly fell off the bed. THAT made me feel old. Really old.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

It's ridiculous how time is zipping by.

I remember stuff like what you mentioned, plus other crap like seeing certain movies in the theater, or TV shows when they come on a certain night I'll think to myself, "Wait, didn't I JUST watch this show??" And a week had already passed.

I'm old, too. (Sigh)

1:15 AM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

Welcome to my world Heather ;-)

Happy New Year dear.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

Holy shit. Clueless really did come out over 10 years ago, didn't it? Wow, that blows my mind. We ARE old (one of us even older than the other).

4:41 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

"A few years ago when I was 16..."

Umm, if you feel old now Ms. Heather B, just wait until you are closer to 30 than you are to 20. Just wait, sister. I still can't believe there weren't people alive when the Bears won Superbowl XX. They must feel so empty never having known the Superbowl Shuffle (which keeps coming up these days in Chicago and on my blog).

5:54 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Ummm... I meant, I can't belive there are people that weren't alive when the bears won the super bowl (not there weren't people alive when the bears won the super bowl).

5:56 PM  
Blogger Tanisha said...

HB- I f*ing miss you girl. That is hilarious. I am feeling old too. Shite I will be 30 years old in 3 months and 5 days. I am counting down. I am looking forward to it and I am very excited as well.. Enjoy your New Year

T

2:00 PM  
Blogger nu. said...

Clueless is one of my fav movies. and also the reason why i want a white Jeep Wrangler.

10:07 PM  
Blogger MemeStream said...

Damned if that quote isn't dead on.

11:09 AM  
Blogger wunelle said...

Imagine the revelation when you wake up some morning and realize that you're too old to be hip (or to be somebody else's hip). It's hell being 43. OK, not really.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Dirk the Feeble said...

I think it's weird to talk to people who weren't around for the bicentennial. Oh well.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

Where you at? Hope you're OK.

PS: If you were waiting for me to resume blogging before you did, well, I have :-)

2:52 PM  
Blogger Sharkbait said...

Yes, where are you?

I need some dress shopping suggestions... :-(

3:34 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

Hope everything is going ok, Heather.

5:54 PM  
Blogger MKD said...

Our kids won't know what VCRs or Tapes are. And sadly Oregon Trail.

6:24 PM  
Blogger green_canary said...

I once worked with a youth group and during one of their discussions they showed a clip from the original Karate Kid. And no lie? The kids were like, "What is this crap?!" I almost fainted. That's like bustin' on The Gremlins or Goonies or something. You don't mess with the classics.

10:00 AM  
Blogger ejtakeslife said...

See, I enjoyed "The Kids of Dawson's Creek" THS but found the Home Improvement one completely lacking as it left out any mention of JTT being gay. It's revisionist history, E!-style.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.