My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Liquid Crack vs. Exercise (I vote for Liquid Crack)

"Whenever I feel like exercise, I lie down until the feeling passes. " ~Robert M. Hutchins, Young Man Looking Backwards, 1938

Normally, I’m not a neat person and my favorite pastime is laying in bed watching movies, but occasionally (and by occasionally I mean every freaking day), I run, golf and walk up and down M street in Georgetown. And let me tell you, there’s nothing that works out the old arms like a bag from Lush, Anthropolgie and Dean and Deluca. Overpriced groceries are heavy. But lately, I’ve turned into a low functioning adult, who cannot move when the alarm clock goes off. Every morning it goes off at 6 am so I can go run, and for the past week I’ve pressed snooze until 6:30 AM then reset my alarm for 7:15. This morning I got up at 8 AM. 8. I have to be at work by 8:30. And despite my occasional bouts of slovenliness, I like to shower. That said, this morning has been difficult to say the least. Even now at 10:20 AM, I am barely functioning. I have my coffee right beside me, but my brain seriously feels like a rock in my head. Doing actual work is unfathomable right now. I haven’t really ‘settled in’ for the morning and I’m already counting the hours until I can curl up in my little day bed nest with the soft flannel Pooh sheets. Yes, Pooh sheets.

Yesterday I complained about my sleepiness to a co worker who replied that when I was running every single day, my body got used to that extra energy and now that I haven’t been running, my body is a little perturbed with me and has subsequently turned sluggish. My body likes exercise. What the fuck? Sometimes I think I’m a 45 year old male who thinks that golf is real exercise (I walk the course, no worries). The last time I really exercised with actual results was when I was on a steady amount of Xenadrine from day to day. I miss that shit. Though, I will say that I did have daily runs in el parque Buen Retiro, but that was solely to counter the effects of tortilla and churros con chocolate. Regardless, I’m going to be forced to run in the cold again. In truth it’s adrenaline pumping and I love a good run around the mall. I suppose that’s a better plan to my original thought that if I went from a daily grande chai eggnog latte to a venti that would obviously negate my sluggishness. Yeah, guess not

8 Comments:

Blogger Namaste said...

I'm all about the run too. Been wondering why I feel so moody lately. Because of no running. And props to you for publicly running in the Parque. I joined a sleazy basement gym that smelled like tortilla espanola.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

I'm the same way. When I was at the height of my stress a few weeks ago, I think a run would have done me a world of good. Instead, I went for weeks without running and did what you're doing, tried to find the extra energy in an overpriced cup of coffee. You saw the scary effects of that. Let my breakdown be a warning to you!

I'm also the same way with the alarm clock. I have to set it 2 hours early because I know that's how long I'll hit snooze.

eggnog latte? that sounds grody to the mizax.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Pink Lemonade Diva said...

wait, how often do you golf?

11:38 AM  
Blogger Mappy B said...

i've never been one for the running. not unless someone's chasing me, or there's a sale at sephora and i have to get there first. screw it. i'm jealous you can get running sometimes. i agree with your laziness. and your friend who suggested your body likes it. when i was working out 3 times a week, i had SO MUCH more energy throughout the day. now, i also reset the alarm, and am late to work. can't get up. i am trying to downgrade my venti to a tall. so far, no luck.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Nam: don't knock the tortilla. When it's cooking it smells glorious.

Lizzie: don't knock the eggnog latte! I'm about to block you from my blog.

PLD: I go to the driving range every week twice and golf during the summer months once or twice a week. It's a very expensive habit, I really need to stop. But I can't.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Marci (aka Baby Banana) said...

I love running on the mall. But last night dudes? Bru-tal. Oh it's all great when you start (at least from where I am down near the Lincoln), but when I make that turn around at the Capitol steps, the freakin wind from the asshole river hits you and stays with you all the way home. And.cold.wind.sucks.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

mappyb: funny because there was a time when I would run up wisconsin avenue to get to Anthropologie faster. No, seriously. Stick with the venti. I'm all about the venti.

Marci (or plantanita): I'll keep that in mind. Because the thought of cold wind will keep me indoors until May. Then I'll really have something to complain about.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

I hit snooze like it's going out of style. And in various ways, sometimes with the palm of my hand, sometimes with my fingers, sometimes with my arm or elbow.

Finding it difficult to get motivated to run in the cold, as well.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.