My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Repeat the Sounding Joy


"Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful." ~Norman Vincent Peale

A few years ago, I happened upon my parents divorce agreement. For the record, Peg had given me explicit permission to go into her top drawer, in case I needed to find out where her will and power of attorney agreements were located. Anyway, when I found her divorce agreement and of course read through it, I learned that my father was to get my brother and I every other weekend. Holidays looked a bit murky and from what I gather, they were given to my mother, but by the grace of God, it never seemed that way. While Thanksgiving we’ve always spent in our home, Christmas has been one of constant tradition. One that I have diligently kept for the past 17 years.

Around 11, my father comes to pick up my brother and I from my mother’s house. We then go to lunch (we’ve upgraded from McDonald’s to the food court and now with my Oceanaire eating palate, I think we might trade up to Houlihan’s). After lunch comes the best part of the day; the movies. It’s like the one movie visit I look forward to all year. Sure I go every weekend, but for some reason going to the movies on Christmas Eve with my father and brother is one of my favorites. Garrett and I watch and my father drifts in and out of slumber, maybe even snoring a few times intermittently. After the movies and walking around the mall, we head home. Now, I suspect that the origin of this holiday tradition was so my mother could wrap our presents without us underfoot. When we get home, there are presents set in neat piles (I get the left side of the tree, Garrett gets the middle, and my mother gets the right side). In our rooms are our new pajamas, slippers and another part of our ornament collection. I collect Pooh ornaments. The rest of the evening is church and my mother’s best friends Christmas party. Two words: Bourbon. Balls.

Come Christmas morning, we have – without fail – required that my father schlep back to our house and be there promptly at 8AM. We’re now, 22 and 19 and he’ll still be required to be at our house by 8 AM. If he’s there later, I have no problem starting without him. Garrett, wakes me up in the morning, by climbing into my bed. He’s now twice the size of me, but my God, I look forward to it every time.

I’ve not written about Christmas, because in all honesty, I get too excited about Christmas to write a coherent sentence. How am I to write about how fucking happy this holiday makes me and that I LOVE (fucking love) hearing Carol of the Bells every day?

I hope that y'all have some kick ass holidays. Here's hoping to a new Coach bag and a vcr/dvd player.

24 Comments:

Anonymous MappyB said...

I'm so glad you have such a great Christmas tradition still intact! That must be so wonderful for you guys, and great that your dad still comes over at 8am on Christmas morning. Merry Christmas!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

I love Christmas, too. The traditions have changed a little recently with my parents' divorce. It's still the most wonderful time of the year to me.

PS: Be glad you're not around me this time of the year. I often break out into the instrumental version of Carol of the Bells, sometimes even in the middle of summer. It would be in your head forever. You would love that, I'm sure ;-) It's just so frickin' catchy.

Merry Christmas, if I don't get to tell you again!

3:20 PM  
Blogger MKD said...

Are you buying me my coach bag because AsianPixie said she wouldn't.

In any event, have a great holiday season!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

MappyB: yeah, it's special, but I love it.

Bone: two words: Manheim Steamroller. I've survived christmas despite divorce and so will you. Promise. Merry Christmas to you as well!

MKD: thanks. And I've added a picture of the bag I want to this post. You know, for ideas.

3:41 PM  
Blogger blake said...

Family Christmas traditions are slowly slipping away. Hold on to yours tightly.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Sub Girl said...

merry christmas! i hope ya get what you want.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Johnny said...

um.

can i crawl into yer bed?

im sure i can find a present for ya!
:P

muhaha.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous boozie said...

Merry Christmas, Heather!

I can't quite get in the spirit, but your post made me think of how excited I am to actually spend the night at my mom's house Saturday night.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Blake: couldn't agree more.

SG: where the hell have you been all my life?!? Hope you have a good holiday as well.

Johnny: ummmm...

4:03 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Boozie: thanks! you too!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

Oops...

I just included you on my Dear Santa letter ;-)

4:07 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

Merry Christmas, Heather. That sounds like a great tradition!

5:38 PM  
Blogger babyjewels said...

I hope you have a great Christmas. and you get your bag.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle said...

Nice blog - Found you at Aramedes...

5:51 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Lizzie: you too!

BabyJewels: thanks! if I get my bag, I'll let the WORLD know.

Greg: thanks! Obviously you have great taste in blogs ;-)

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Brownsavvy said...

Fabulous bag. Have you ever considered purchasing stock in Coach (COH)? Seriously. Ask Peg (Mom, right?) for that gift. At any rate, Merry Christmas.

1:40 AM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

Aw that's adorable!

I hope you get the bag too, it's hott!!

12:09 PM  
Blogger green_canary said...

I'm 27 and I still make my daddy cook Christmas morning breakfast. He makes the best eggs-in-a-frame, yo. It just wouldn't be Christmas without those eggs.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Larissa said...

i totally understand the family Christmas traditions. Every year on Christmas Eve, my fam and I watch 'It's A Wonderful Life' -- It's gotten to the point where we know every single line, and I love it!

(love your blog by the way, i linked ya up!)

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Neil said...

What a cool tradition. Merry Christmas.

6:35 PM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

Love the bag!

Nice to see you so happy Heather! Merry Christmas Hon.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Today I saw "my bag" in Macy's in the city (which is a whole nother blog entry-say it with me now; there is no need to take pictures in the middle of a fucking store) and I fell in love. It's so beautiful.

Anyway, I hope y'all have a wonderful holiday as well.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

hey, where did the last post go? I was drinking wine when I read it last night, but I couldn't have had so much that I imagined it... could I?

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.