My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Fever

"Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color." ~Author Unknown

“I think this year; I’m going to seriously contemplate getting a boyfriend. Not get a boyfriend, but really think hard about it”

“Well good. Does it matter if he’s white or black?”

“Nope. Just as long as he’s not a Republican. I don’t date Republicans.”

“Are you serious?”

“Dead.”

Watching Jungle Fever makes my head reel. I can find myself enjoying the occasional Spike Lee joint, but the premise of that movie makes my eyes roll so far back into my head that they hurt. I hate that movie. I’ve watched, I’ve thought about it, and I’ve come to the conclusion that it annoys the shit out of me. And really, who gives a fuck? I sure as hell don’t care, what color the future Mr. Heather B is, but if I see a “Bush/Cheney Rocks My World” bumper sticker on the back of our Mini, I’m going to flip my shit. There will be no joint memberships to the NRA. And if the man utters “Alito is my Hero” within 14 feet of me, I’ll cut his ass faster than he can say “Evil Doer”.

I've always been perplexed at the lists of reasons for not dating someone that people come up with and a lot of times race is on that list. Not something important like one's stance on abortion or the over taxing of the middle class, but race. It completely boggles my mind. And of all things, why should it matter?

12 Comments:

Blogger Diet Coke of Evil said...

I completely agree. I somehow feel as if standings on political issues are going to be what divides our generation in the dating pool.

I could marry/date almost any type of person, but not a Republican.

*shudders*

10:28 AM  
Blogger AJH said...

My favorite magnet says "Make the scary republican go away." Oddly, I have several Republican friends. We agree to never, ever discuss politics. That is the cross I bear for having grown up in the South.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous MappyB said...

Amen!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Namaste said...

Haha.

Funny thing about it is that black Republican people scare the shit out of me more than white ones for some reason. Why?

11:56 AM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

Or you could do like I did. I dated a Republican and over a few years and after much much nagging and arguing, managed to convert him to our team. He voted for Bush in 2000 but by 2004 was wearing a Kerry t-shirt. It's my proudest achievement.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Neil said...

I'm more of an issue man than a party person, because frankly, both parties don't really represent me very well. I voted for Gore and Kerry, but they were very uninspired candidates. I think I would have been more impressed with a woman who voted for Ralph Nader. I'm more into issues, like the person being pro-choice and for gay marriage, etc., than party affiliation.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

I'm glad you all agree with me. It's not like I can't be friends with a Republican but dating one just seems off to me. And Neil, you made an excellent point, issues are important, but I've noticed (living here in DC) that most of the people who disagree with me on the issues you mentioned are Republicans. And if I met a Democrat, who was pro-conservative court, pro guns and anti abortion, I'd be like WTF? and kick his ass to the curb as well.
The point is that of all things, race shouldn't be an issue when dating someone and I don't understand why people make it an issue.

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Angela said...

Yep, I'm with Neil on this one. I suppose if I were *forced* to give party affiliation I would say Republican, but I'm actually very socially liberal, so I don't really agree with many of their platforms. My boyfriend would say that he is a Democrat, but he is pretty fiscally conservative, so it's not so much party that I'm interested as their beliefs. Not to mention, it's made for some fantastic debates over the years!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Larissa said...

i have a pin that says 'Ban Republican marriage', if only I had an extra, it would be yours!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

Wow, Lizzie! You got a guy to change teams! I thought that only happened in movies and on TV.

I could date a girl who voted Republican, but not a girl who believes Bush is doing a fine job.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Esbee said...

I married a Republican. I'm slowly converting him over. I've got him all the way to "I consider myself an Independent even though North Carolina doesn't recognize such a thing, and I think Bush is an asshat." I consider this doing my duty as an American.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Isabel said...

You are right...it shouldn't matter.

I dated a boy of mexican decent in college. My Grandpa (who I don't like, or really know) took me aside one day to tell me not to "bring any brown babies home". I could not believe that someone would say something SO horrible OUT LOUD.

E-gads...just remembering that story creeps me out.

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.