My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Quirky McQuirkison

"Individualism is rather like innocence: There must be something unconscious about it." ~Louis Kronenberger, Company Manners, 1954

Today as I sat enjoying my scheduled cup of ice, someone came up to me and asked if I was pregnant, because apparently pregnant women chew ice. Not only is it something that pregnant women do, but also it’s bad for the teeth and my poor little jaw. But I can’t help it. I have to have my ice. I crave it in fact. Sometimes, it’s the highlight of my day. Yes, I have strong feelings about ice. At fast food places, I ask for a lot of ice in my cup, as opposed to little ice, lots of diet coke.

After further contemplating my intense devotion to frozen water, I thought about other weird things that I do. For example, there’s this game to enjoy on long bus/car rides, where the first person names a movie, the next person names an actor in that movie, and the third person names another movie that that actor was in and so on. So if I were to say Garden State, the next person can say Jean Smart, and the third person could say I Heart Huckabees…and so on. The point is that I can play this game and not only beat everyone else playing, but I also play this game to lull myself back to sleep. I am an IMDB whore. And I like it; almost as much as I like my ice.

And finally, once I get a song I like on my ipod, I will play the song over and over and over again. The current song of choice is the I’ll Cover You (Reprise) from Rent, maybe switching to La Vie Boheme after the 13th time. I wish I were kidding. I really do. I do the same thing with movies. If I watch a movie that I enjoy – right now my current poison is Garden State – I have to watch it over and over again. So last night/this morning when I was afflicted with insomnia, I watched it for the 7th day in a row.

Actually, this will be final, sadly, I write how I talk. Which means if I’m writing about one thing, I’ll need parentheses and asterisks, as another thought – maybe on the same topic, maybe not – pops into my head. I digress like a motherfucker. And you know what, I kind of like it.

13 Comments:

Blogger Esbee said...

Actually craving chewing ice is a sign of anemia, which many pregnant women suffer from. If you are thinking about ice, get thee to a doctor for a hemoglobin check, because it's a pretty reliable indicator. That was our first clue with our three year old that something was amiss - he asked for ice all the time.

9:35 PM  
Blogger MKD said...

I am an IMDB whore too. I'm glad we're both out now.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

You crave ICE? ICE? God damn you Heather. I crave chocolate and cheese (not the Ween album but the foods and not at the same time, usually), which is probably more detrimental to my ass that ice is to your ass.

11:31 PM  
Anonymous boozie said...

Esbee's right. I used to crave ice in high school when I was trying to be a vegetarian. It didn't last.

8:16 AM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

Heather do not EVER move to England. You will have to sell your soul to get ice ANYWHERE!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Strangely enough I am a vegetarian (pescetarian)...so that may explain it. The things you can find out through blogging is amazing.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Marci (aka Baby Banana) said...

I am a big digresser, too...maybe that's why I like reading you so much?

Also, the ice thing, can be a sign of anemia. So basically, you should try to get more iron-rich protein in your veggie-self.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Esbee said...

One more thing: usually by the time a person craves ice, he/she is quite anemic. Often, iron rich foods aren't enough to restore iron stores, which can be depleted, as well as one's hemoglobin being low. Hemoglobin cells can also become small in severe anemia.

If your doctor prescribes an iron supplement, avoid eating calcium-rich foods at the same time as you take the supplement, as calcium binds to iron, rendering the iron unabsorbable. Vitamin C, however, helps the body absorb iron more efficiently.

There are a number of really good iron supplements over the counter, but you want a doctor to determine your iron stores first to make sure you get the optimum dose for your weight/anemia.

(Can you tell I spend a lot of time at pediatric hematology?)

11:09 AM  
Blogger Dirk the Feeble said...

Yikes! One thing men need to learn quickly is that you never ask a woman if she's pregnant unless you can actually see a baby emerging from her at that moment.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Ok, so now I'm worried that I'm anemic. Awesome, but good, because now I'll know.

Arm: If someone came up and asked me that - male or female, jokingly or not - they would've been shot.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous lorie said...

I was going to say the thing about the iron deficiency but everyone beat me to it. Mine tends to be low and back when I used to try to give blood, I was often rejected because of low iron. Incidentally, if you eat mostly chicken and pasta all the time like so many of us young single women do, it's really easy to get a bit anemic. :)

12:57 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

I like Garden State. But I'm really not too good with names of actors and actresses and what they've been in.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous stephanie said...

I wonder what about iron deficiency makes someone crave ice though... weird.

Anyway, I avoid ice at fast food places, not because I'm cheap (although I am), but because a friend of mine who worked at BK back in high school told us that the soda machines are never cleaned out and the ice parts are full of mold. eeeww!

Plus, if I have ice without a straw, I inevitably spill my drink ALL OVER MYSELF!

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.