My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

News Flash

"You must have control of the authorship of your own destiny. The pen that writes your life story must be held in your own hand." ~Irene C. Kassorla

When I read, I picture the author sitting at his or her desk typing away. Printing out the pages to review and then typing more. I always wonder what he or she is wearing and what they are thinking as they write a piece of literature that may quite easily bring me to my knees. I only read good books. I kid you not. I’m thankful now that I never got sucked into A Million Little Pieces of Bullshit. But that is neither here nor there. My point is that when I write it’s usually at a desk or in my bed. Cup of tea in my right hand and I play with my favorite curl that is in the back of my head. While I write, I wonder how the people that read-professors, you all, whomever-will react to what I’ve written. When it’s good, I smile as I go and when it’s bad, or I feel that it’s bad, I will spend the remainder of my day wondering to the point where it can distract me from whatever else I am doing. My subsequent thoughts are pretty narcissistic – which should surprise no one I suppose – but it’s more of “I wonder if they are wondering what I look like and what I’m thinking while I write this complete crap wonderful goodness. Don't worry, you can thank me for it later.

No, I don’t have it all together as Marissa suspected (which I might also add was my favorite guess). That comment made me think that my attempts to best encapsulate myself in this have been in vain. Unless by having it together means being the most neurotic person in all eternity who can easily drown her sorrows in a new pair of shoes or a bottle of shiraz; and in emergencies, in a well timed burrito. Then, yes, I do have my shit together. I don’t want people being impressed. It freaks me out. Only because I know that what may impress someone, only leaves me thinking “ok, so what next.” I have this immense fear of talking about the good things that come because I know that inevitably I will jinx myself. It’s not even a maybe. It’s a definite. It has nothing to do with me being happy etc., but more with me never being completely satisfied and what I fear; even more than failing; is that I will never truly be satisfied.

So, without further ado moi:

(I should mention that I really don’t like either of these pictures and the picture that I was to originally post with this was neither of these, but my computer is sucking a big one right now, so this is what you get)

(Oh, and we’ll save the “Why does everyone always think I’m white?” post for another day. I think it’s the golfing and the polo obsession and the upstate NY that throws people off, but then again, my name is fucking Heather)


(here is the post about me meeting Alfre Woodard. I was also forced to meet Cicely Tyson and sat behind Oprah's BFF Gayle at Rosa Parks' memorial service here in DC. And I saw Oprah's Swavorski covered shoes. But I can't find that post, so nevermind)







16 Comments:

Anonymous Angela said...

Holy crap... you met Alfre Woodard??? You are some kind of demi-god...

It's funny, usually when I picture the authors of things I read they end up looking like people I know or know of who share a name. I knew you were black (I can't remember how), but since I hadn't seen a picture of you I just pictured you in my head as a darker skinned Heather Armstrong, lol! I suppose it's just a way to feel a bond with the writer, imagining them as someone you already know can help in making you feel like you "know" the person.

I loved reading what everyone thought and how you really look though!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Marissa said...

I like being your favorite guess. :) And I will admit that I had seen a picture of you on one of your previous postings so I knew my physical impression was wrong, but I thought I would share it anyway!

I wouldn't say that your attempts to encapsulate yourself have been in vain. I guess the easiest way to explain it is that I got the impression that people who meet you in your everyday life probably perceive you to be more "together" than you perceive yourself to be.

If that makes any sense...

12:40 PM  
Blogger Marissa said...

Also, there is almost nothing some shiraz and a burrito can't fix. I fully believe that.

12:44 PM  
Blogger green_canary said...

Are you the girl on the left? I feel like I totally know you! I wonder if I've met you before *thinking*

12:46 PM  
Blogger Larissa said...

so dish about how you met Alfre. she's amazing.

1:18 PM  
Blogger ejtakeslife said...

I just LOVE your work! Do you feel underutilized on Desperate Housewives this season?

Oh wait...

1:22 PM  
Blogger unforgiving b*tch said...

I just started reading your blog so I wasn't really sure...

Though the name Heather does tend to make people think you might be white. Heck, what do I know, my mother almost named me Britney. (Spelled exactly like that). So glad she didn't.

1:32 PM  
Blogger TinaPoPo said...

Holy shit! Alfre Woodard writes this blog??!

I'm with Marissa. Everything's better with a burrito and a glass of wine. Everything.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Oh, I didn't mention that I keep my offspring locked and chained in the basement? hmmm...sorry.

And "a darker skinned Heather Armstrong" that's my favorite yet...

2:10 PM  
Blogger ocg said...

I was chatting with someone today and mentioned that I have a tendency to look at books and blogs both euro-centrically and hetero-centrically. I am embarrassed by myself on both of these accounts. I shall rationalize it though and blame it on the white-bread, cultureless, soulless and diverseless place called OC I moved to… but that just a feeble attempt to excuse my own ignorant ways…

I do think you are truly beautiful and an awesome writer.(NEVER crap!) Thank you for sharing so much of yourself…

4:04 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

that's exactly how I pictured you.

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Angela said...

Hee, yeah, and my visualization was only backed up by the fact that not only are you "Heather", but you are "Heather B."

What can I say, I'm completely unoriginal.

6:04 PM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

Alfre Woodard very cool. And very nice to see your smiling face!

By the by, control is an illusion.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

I love that you guys love that I'm with Alfre and meanwhile I'm thinking "why didn't your stupid ass camera work because then you could show off a picture in which you're 10 lbs. lighter. stupid. Oh and a picture in which I discovered Lush's fresh farmacy and now my face is all nice and pretty. dumbass."

But yay! Alfre. And yay! OCG you're my new favorite person.

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Angela said...

(Okay, but seriously, spill about Amy's dress pretty please with a cherry on top!)

10:23 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Well I was way off. That's no surprise though. I got sucked into that Million Little Pieces BS (bookclub) so I'm an idiot. And I'm pissed about it.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.