My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Use Your Words

"Words are but the vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links, they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes. "~Theodore Dreiser, 1900

When Karen asked whether or not those with blogs and/or personal websites felt like we ‘wield any power’ by virtue of what is written on our sites; I responded that I didn’t felt like I had any power and that what little ability I may have in connecting with people, was because I write about a ferociously unstable period of time that pretty much everyone goes through. Other than that though, I pretty much say whatever I’m thinking at the time being, only slightly bordering on completely obscene or TMI.

The thing is that although I would give my left arm to run and win a public office, I can’t speak publicly or to anyone for that matter. The thoughts in my brain, never come across coherently and I end up sounding like I took a line of coke beforehand. It’s that bad. Though yesterday, I made a futile attempt at expressing my feelings via email and instant messenger and I came off not sounding like a crack head, but more like a bitch who proclaimed that she hated everyone and their brother. Which of course wasn’t my intention, especially towards two people that I absolutely adore, but there it was. I used my written words to make one of my best friends cry. Go me. Thankfully that situation settled itself out; but left me really questioning my ability to express myself through the written word. I mean if I can’t write anything out and I can’t speak without ‘himming’ and ‘hawing’ then what use am I?

Nevertheless, when I’m having these introspective moments, I realize that I do have some sort of power, both good and bad. Yes, at times it comes off as a complete crapload of randomness and other times you see that yes, thankfully, I have a point (like right now). I received a comment yesterday from someone who recently opened a BofA account and was wondering where in my entries I proclaimed BofA’s eternal damnation due to complete suckage. I smiled; because if my words have the power to destroy the BofA monopoly; then indeed my words do wield some pretty awesome power. Here I am, saving America from shitty banks, one customer at a time.

14 Comments:

Blogger darlin nikki said...

i guess i need to go to putting ye ol' money under the bed cuz u'll take em down!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Buffy said...

Dont even get me started on BofA. One customer down.....a million or so to go.

Hey...like you said....you've gotta start somewhere.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Rhinestone Cowgirl said...

I hate BofA with the fiery passion of a million brilliant suns.

3:32 PM  
Blogger green_canary said...

Can we comment on the suckiness of State Farm Insurance? I hate them and would like one who wields power, like our illustrious Heather B., to put them in their place. They hurt my feelings and now must pay the price.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

I've actually been thinking about changing banks. Guess I can skip BofA and go right to considering the next one.

I'm kinda the same way. It's not so much who I prefer, it's which companies have yet to screw me.

That's why I don't use AT&T, Geico, or eat at O'Charley's :)

3:40 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

DN: It will be luck and pleasure if I can take them down.

Buffy: Amen!

RC: Is it possible for me to hate them more than that? HATE.

GC: tell me what they did and I'll let them know that they can't fuck with The Canary, lest they want to incur the wrath of HB.

Bone: what's O'Charleys? and you people and your insurance company strife, you're making me nervous.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Nap Queen said...

I think your writing is hilariously well done. Keep it up. I have the "I sound like I just did a line of coke" problem too when I speak at work. I have that horrible reazliztion that as the words are coming out of my mouth, I'm making no sense, but I can't make it better.

6:04 PM  
Anonymous MappyB said...

Ah, O'Charley's is pretty much like an Applebees, I think it's a southern chain.

Why do you have BofA? I must of missed that post. My man uses them and hasn't had any problems.

I use State Farm and absolutely LOVE them. The trick there is you have to join young, otherwise their rates are more expensive. I was lucky and got in at 16, and now I can't find anywhere that beats their prices. Gosh, I'm so lucky!

I boycott Rand McNally - for so many reasons!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Like Bone, I too was considering changing banks. I guess it won't be to BofA.

I'm surprised you have a hard time expressing yourself. You do a good job of it here. But I guess I should not be because writing is much different than speaking. I have to say that talking is one thing with which I do not struggle. I'm awesome in interviews and I can get a conversation going with a deaf mute. I talk all freaking day though as a teacher so if I'm not good at it, I'm fucked. If you ever come to Chicago we can meet for drinks and I'll coach you.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Bone said...

My mind just transposed the first letters of nap queen and mappy b, so that for a second I saw map queen. I was thinking, "We have two map people?"

9:28 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Nap Queen (that's with an 'N' not an 'M' Sir Bone): Thank you very much. I'm happy someone else feels my pain

MappyB: I have BofA because they're everywhere including Albany and my father has an account with them. So my mother can easily deposit money in my account and my father can transfer funds from his account into mine. I hate them because they have terrible customer service and they will think of a fee for anything. I swear I walk into the bank and I pay a fee for breathing their fucking air.

Tara: See if there are drinks involved, then I'll be fine. And I'm really contemplating Chicago. Don't say the dreaded 'G' word (name of famous pizza place), I might start salivating.

Bone: you're so very special.

9:34 AM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

I think some people, (present company excluded,) misuse the "power" of their blogs i.e. to "get back at people" or punish them in some way by embarassing them publicly. I think that is very wrong.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

LisaB: Of course I read this after posting my post recent entry. I'm just mean. And evil. Please don't hate me.

11:41 AM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

Heather, I adore you Hon! You are SO not one of the evil people!

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.