My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, March 13, 2006

The 10 Month Tour

“We thought we were running away from the grown-ups, and now we're the grown-ups.” ~Margaret Atwood

I’ve been semi introspective as of late which makes for poor ranting and snark skills. I could rant about my busted right side mirror which is currently being held to my car with duct tape. I repeat; Duct. Tape. And it’s amazingly disgusting and I’d be all for bringing to the carwash except for…DUCT TAPE. This won’t even be remedied until I go home for Easter because Peg is all for paying for it and I’m not about to object to having someone else pay for something for me.

Anyway.

Basically I’ve been trying to get my shit together so that I can at least pretend to play adult. Contrary to what you all read or may perceive about me, my shit ain’t together. In fact it’s completely opposite from together. My adult playing skills have yet to be honed and I’m trying – though I feel in vain – to make myself a little more at home in my new role. Thus, introspection and teeth grinding, ennui and malaise.

I feel like while everything has changed, nothing has changed. The little change that there has been, has moved at a snail’s like pace and OH MY GOD Everything will be like this FOREVER. There are lots of caps, due to frustration. 10 months is a long ass time, for a lot to happen and yet why has nothing super significant happened?

In discussions on Sunday afternoon, it was brought to my attention that I do indeed, have my shit together. I have a job that I enjoy. I’ve developed a gym routine and a weekly schedule. I’ve learned to save due to an excessive amount of the BEST BIRTH CONTROL EVER aka babysitting, therefore allowing me such extravagant things like facials and new product and a trip at the end of April. Yee Haw. Oh and a new baby, and by ‘baby’ I mean a kayak. So things are well.

It’s said that learning to budget is a big sign of adult hood, as is knowing my limits, both of which I had to learn the really hard way. [Insert short PSA here: BofA will charge you $31 when you over draft from an account, just so y’all know.] So that’s where things stand. The same, yet different, yet good things are on the horizon, which makes daily life a little bit easier to handle.

Maybe in two months; on the anniversary of the day I lost my health insurance; I’ll have a little more to add. Hopefully it will be more snark and cynicism and less introspection and vast wonder of how the next 15 years will go. Because let’s be honest; it’s getting a little old.

*****

And completely unrelated whatsoever, if any of y'all want to help me fill out my bracket(s), you are more than welcome.

15 Comments:

Anonymous nabbalicious said...

Hey, I'm 32 and I STILL do not have my shit together. Why, I only learned to budget last year. And you come off far more together than I did at your age. You pretty much totally rule!

My favorite (OK, and only) bracket tip is: do you know someone who went to the school? Have you heard of the school? Then they're going to win.

10:31 AM  
Blogger RoarSavage said...

It's hard to be snarky when it's so nice outside... 40 later this week. I'll expect snark then, hehe.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

[Quickly turning the radio station to classical music when you've been pulled over for speeding does not impress the cops, nor does it make you seem less reckless.]

12:05 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

I have to say, you definitely seem like you have your shit together than me. You have it way more figured out than most people I know (self included) and are younger than them by a good half decade. I WISH I had it together like you. (And I wish it had only been 10 months since I graduated. Try realizing it's been 6 years and you've accomplished nada. Oy vey.)

12:32 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

I don't want to grow up! I'm a Toys R Us kid. There's a million toys at Toys R Us that I can play with! From bikes to trains to video games, it's the biggest toy store there is! I don't want to grow up, cause maybe if I did! I wouldn't be a Toys R Us kid!

I thought of that song as I was reading your post and felt like I must now make everyone else sing along with me. It's important to denying adulthood and all the associated responsibilites. Now excuse me while I go balance my check book.

2:07 PM  
Anonymous lorie said...

Thought #1: I had a car that got the right side mirror busted and I drove around for several months with duct tape over the hole where the mirror used to be (because the loose mirror banging on the car door as we flapped down the road was no good). I actually traded that car in WITH THE DUCT TAPE STILL ON. Hell yeah.

Thought #2: I don't hate BoA the way you do (mainly because I've been through about ten worse banks so far in my young life), but at the end of last month I had a freakin' iTunes purchase and a random two dollar transaction I forgot about come in on the same day (the day before payday, of COURSE) and was charged a whopping total of $68. And then I died.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I'm afraid I'm not a whole lot of help with introspection or NCAA brackets. I will say that I've given up on U. of Illinois. They are dead to me. My new team is Texas. They have this mammoth, big, burly, blond, corn-fed, mule of a white man. Watch out for his hookshot and his introspection. Both will dominate you in the low post.

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Angela said...

After reading through comments, I'm thinking brackets have something to do with sports...

Um, yeah. I'm obviously of no help there.

However, my blowing sunshine up your you know what comment of the day is that at least you *have* shit to get together! Believe me, I have plenty of friends who graduated ages ago still sitting around at home with their parents, and their thumbs stuck up their butts (please note, parents are not stuck up butts, only thumbs, I think there was probably a better way to say that), and they aren't even concerned with what shit needs to be gotten where.

So, basically, that was a really horrendously worded way of saying--I think you're doing okay!

5:12 PM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

I think you are far more grownup than I am!

5:59 PM  
Blogger mysterygirl! said...

If you figure out how to become a grownup, by all means, pass along your findings...

6:40 PM  
Anonymous jurgen nation said...

Hoo, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just now got my shit together and stopped paying overdraft fees and I'm 28. 28! Sometimes I'm embarrassed by it, but you know what? That's life. How the eff else are you supposed to learn?

You sound like you have your shit together HB, and I likes ya.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

I'm still working on growing up and brackets so don't ever go to my site for advice on either of these things. You've probably learned that by now.

8:05 PM  
Blogger wunelle said...

I think not having your shit together is a perfectly legitimate life's strategy--daring, even.

But Queen Lizzie's right: if you think this is YOU, you're mistaken. You're way too together.

But in a good way! ;-)

10:07 PM  
Blogger darlin nikki said...

It's getting old talking about being old? Damn, I'm gonna go straight for plastic covers on my couch ;)

1:06 AM  
Blogger Isabel said...

Becoming an adult isn't so bad. And saving money isn't bad either. Then instead of a bunch of little things to buy, you can afford BIGGER things. See, things are starting to look up!

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.