My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

In Search of Greener Pastures

For the past few years I’ve always been asked whether or not I like my job and/or how I got my job. It’s not like I’m an astrophysicist and getting into the particular field was that difficult, but alas I get asked. The usual response is that I enjoy my job and I got to wherever I am (which isn’t very far) via intense determination to meet my favorite Senator. Sadly, he’s dead now, but that’s about all. I’m all about being humble – no, seriously – and so if friends tell parents that I’m going to be the president (I don’t care how drunk we were, it was still said), my heart kind of stops and I’m sure if I were a little bit more on the lighter side, I’d turn crimson. I don’t understand the fascination that we have with other people’s lives, in particular, always wanting what others have. Yeah, I like my job, I’m doing part of what I want and I’m mildly happy.

Did you catch that? PART and MILDLY. I’m not Judy Blume, I’ve long given up on being married by 27 and I will never weigh 127 lbs. Now go on and guess which on that list I am still just a touch obsessed about doing. At any rate, I’m not completely happy with myself and because I don’t do things half assesd, I sometimes fear that I will never be. After years of saying “I don’t need no stinkin’ man” to my friends, I find myself a little less misanthropic and a little more in need to get some. And by ‘some’ I mean ‘ass’. Yes I am announcing to the internet that I need to get some ass or at least I need some friends who aren’t in the ass getting business to commiserate with me over bottles of Syrah.

But alas, I don’t have those type of friends. I say this like all of my friends have left me to die in some desolate place. It’s not that bad, but I was forced to perform a pre-emptive strike (in some sort of irrational PMSing haste) on one friend, because now that she’s dating, she won’t be readily available for los burritos and that leaves me stranded. By the way, this is the same friend that recently announced to a set of parents how proud she is of me and how great I am and that I’m going to be president. No. How about you become President and I get some ass? Though awesome as my life may seem, it ain’t and I’m woefully convinced that the grass may be significantly greener on her side.

I could go on and on about this, but I’m too busy running away in search of the nearest browniecarrot sticks and dip. Yes, it’s that bad.


*I couldn’t find a quote for this post, so anyone who picks out the perfect quote wins my undying love and affection.

11 Comments:

Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

"this is the same friend that recently announced to a set of parents how proud she is of me and how great I am and that I’m going to be president. No. How about you become President and I get some ass?"

That's hilarious. No one's ever said I would be president of anything. These days, is that even a compliment? Hope the brownies help.

What is your job? Why do I not know this?

5:57 PM  
Blogger Dirk the Feeble said...

There's a support group for people who hate their job. It's called "Everybody" and they meet at the bar.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Tara: my job is in an undisclosed location. the end.

Dirk: I LOVE my job, don't get me wrong, but I wish that I had a significant other to enjoy along with my job.

6:16 PM  
Anonymous jurgen nation said...

Oh, sunshine, I heart you.

6:51 PM  
Blogger ocg said...

I think you would be an awesome President... if "Ass for All" was your campaign pledge... you'd be a shoe-in... I mean, I'd vote for you...

7:51 PM  
Anonymous MappyB said...

I love a good challenge - a quote that could work regarding your passion for work, and your want to share it with...

"Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place."
Ice T, The Ice Opinion

It is hard to find a quote that captures this post; I agree.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous jenn said...

"Patience is a flatterer, sir and an ass, sir."
Aphra Behn

11:14 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Jurgemeister (kind of like Jager, makes you feel good, but without the nasty hangover): I heart you too.

OCG: I could change the pledge: "...with liberty and ass for all". Glad I've got one vote.

B: I love me some Ice T, good quote. You now have my undying love and affection

Jenn: damn it! another good one, ok, I've gotten several quotes now I will commence with my decision.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

(is the ass always greener on the other side, too?)

Remember Clinton? You can be President and get some ass. No worries.

9:45 AM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

I love my work except when it beats me to a pulp and leaves me for dead on the street...

10:28 AM  
Blogger Isabel said...

I wish I had a great quote for this one (I LOVE QUOTES!).

And nobody is happy all of the time. It's just life. And that sucks.

(and you would be the bestest president, ever!! I would totally vote for you!)

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.