My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

20/20

"To look backward for a while is to refresh the eye, to restore it, and to render it the more fit for its prime function of looking forward." ~Margaret Fairless Barber, The Roadmender

If I remember it correctly, our last night started off with 2 Euro white wine and quickly moved on to red wine, sangria and finally a champagne toast. That last glass of sangria is what truly did me in and caused the sudden flow of tears and drunk dancing that ensued. But of course nothing goes better with drunk dancing than an 80 euro bottle of vodka, which is ok because I had to get rid of the last bit of them. Through out the night we reminisced of the evening before…the incident when Stephanie had her giant bag stolen from under our feet at Maoz in Sol. After the reminiscing and the dancing there was the puking.

Managing to empty the contents of my stomach all over my host mother’s pristine bathroom floor was surely no easy feat. First of all, I had eaten tortilla and I would cut off of my thumb for the deliciousness that is tortilla. Second, I didn’t dislike her that much. Though we disagreed at times and she was adamant about me eating rabbit though I am a vegetarian, I didn’t dislike her strongly. But I will admit the shear frustration of trying to conjugate verbs with a large glass of wine in my hand to tell her to please not iron my underwear. There was also the time that she yelled at me for taking much too long in the shower and for smoking out of my bedroom window. She was also meticulous about cleaning and once apologized because had it not been for a pesky doctor’s appointment and a hacking cough, she would’ve gotten around to cleaning. Lucky for her, I forgave her.

The flight home was a blur with crying and snot and customs. Munich has a lovely airport and you can smoke anywhere you want. It’s funny because at the time, I relished in the fact that I could smoke and drink anytime any place and no one gave a shit. On my walk to work this morning I damn near passed out from smelling smoke. Who smokes at 8:15 AM? But beyond the smoking and drinking, there were a solid 8 hours of Phantom of the Opera, which lead to the jet lag from hell and questioning what the hell “this shit is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S” means.

And that was it. Everything after is a blur, including a graduation ceremony featuring Daniel Akaka, during which I was only semi-conscious. Though I realize that all of these events occurred a year ago, it’s hard not to be nostalgic right now. It’s hard not to look back and remember how happy yet dreadful I felt. Most importantly scared and very broke.

I cannot even begin to recall the number of people that told me not to worry and how fucking awesome their 20’s were and that this was the best time of my life and all the general bullshit that was spewed, while I seriously contemplated moving to Canada or worse Albany because insurance is fucking ridiculous. But I don’t remember a single person telling me that it was ok to be worried or freaked the hell out, just a lot of patronizing and “there, there, COBRA payments aren’t that high.”

In the end, I would’ve much preferred honesty rather than lofty talk as to how wonderful everything would be. And in the end, I’m glad that I’ve been pretty honest with myself as to how trying things have been and know that things went relatively well, hell, better than expected. In hindsight I know that I’ve been really fucking lucky and that things – though often trying – will only get better.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Angela said...

Yeah. I've only made it 3 years into my 20s, but I'd have to say that my junior year of college has been the best year of my life. Since then it's kind of pretty much sucked. And I don't see it getting any better before it gets worse.

Yay for optimism! Or, you know, screw it and get drunk instead.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

Whoever said the best times of your life in high school was obviously lying....so why the hell do we want to believe it more when they change it to "your 20s are the best years"? I'm 24, not doing what I wanted to be doing with my life, single, and still waiting for the best times to show up. Holy hell, with my luck year 29 will just totally rock and then I have my 30s to look forward to lol.

(i'm seriously not nearly as bitter as I sound...well not nearly as much lol)

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

I also sort of think the 20s are overrated. I mean, they're OK. But working sort of sucks. not living within a block of all your friends sucks a lot. Not having summers and winters and a week in the spring free to get drunk every night and sleep until noon REALLY sucks. I no longer thing about how much I miss college on a daily basis, but I definitely used to.

Like Melissa, I also don't consider myself bitter (or at least not THAT bitter). Just realistic. Maybe if I really enjoyed my job and made a shitload of money the 20s would be cool, but I know very few (none) people who love their job and get paid well.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous MappyB said...

I agree with all of the above.

I am looking forward to turning 30, because I have heard honest, truthful things about how great it is. The 20's are all about 'finding yourself', being broke, figuring our your career path, etc. I am so glad I'm done with my early 20's (watch out for the quarter life crisis, it's real), and getting to be 29 sometime this year. Scary, but nice. It's hard, and it sucks, but it will all be worth it. I wish I could write a letter to my younger self.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Jorge said...

"The flight home was a blur with crying and snot and customs"

Best line of the article. Guaranteed you always have something that makes me spitup water when I'm drinking it.

B-A-N-A-N-A-S always cracks me up because it sounds like Gwen is 12 when she says that line. Of course, if a 12 year old said "The shit is bananas", I would shove a banana up their nose.

It's odd.
I'm a positive person, but I don't tend to sugarcoat things.
Certainly I believe in the indomitable will of others, but at the same time, if someone asked me about my 20's I would say that the first half sucked the devil's balls.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Jacynth said...

It's too bad peeps took the 'there, there' approach with you. I agree, getting it smack dab in the fact would of had more worth. How about a 'you're not in kansas anymore Dor. Have fun with your rent, health insurance, taxes, roller coaster ride, transit costs, and hearbreak that is your 20s'.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

To this day people still give me the "there, there" you'll live shit on top of demanding whether or not I'm going to stay at my job etc. etc. I want to be like, leave me the fuck alone!
But alas not, and I just say..."ok thanks" and nod and smile alot.

I like honesty. Be honest. Tell me that Cobra payments are $348 a month. I swear I won't flip the fuck out. Promise.

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.