My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The entitlement clause

“Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.” ~Eric Hoffer


Early this morning, after spending a solid hour debating whether or not to go to the gym (not) and whether or not to go to the dry cleaner given that nudity isn’t allowed in the work place, I stumbled to the dry cleaner clad in shorts and my
Oregon sweatshirt. That fresh out of bed look does quite well for me, thankyouverymuch.

From outside of my dry cleaner, I noticed the woman who I should say has always been quite kind to me, waving her hands around and speaking loudly to the man in front of me. He looked like an average white male, nothing remotely special about him, I would say. Anyway, the two were having a loud back and forth between each other which almost tempted me to renege on that nudity prohibition. The man would scream louder at the woman about how he wanted his money back or he would no longer be visiting that particular dry cleaner. The woman tried as best she could in broken English to explain that she and her sister treat the man very well because he is “a very important man” but then went on to say that he had no manners, despite that she sat down to write him a check for $130 to replace the shirt that he lost a year ago. A freaking year ago.

I had no idea who the man was and was more appalled at his behavior at 7AM more than anything. She had him write down his name and I was unable to view it. So I moved closer to catch a glimpse of the name on the receipts…Indeed it was “a very important man**” with great clout and many followers. This is a man that I also happen to despise with the fury of a thousand fiery suns and really it didn’t shock me that he would be rude to someone doing a service for him.

At the time, I recoiled and was shocked and while he tried to give me the ‘you feel me’ look, I contemplated outing him to a cast of hundreds, but really that doesn’t matter. The point is that there are people, politicians no less, in this area who apparently feel that because they are in power that they have the god given right to do whatever the hell they please and treat others in a way that is incredibly rude and uncalled for and frankly I don’t get it. Is it ok to hit people’s cars with your gaudy Lexus? Is it seen as appropriate to yell at the woman who does your dry cleaning because you’re upset about a shirt that had been lost (over a year ago, with no proof I might add)? I think not.

I’m starting to tire of people around here that seem to think that they are God’s gift to the free world just because they happen to have a seat in Congress or happen to be BFF with George Bush, worse yet, those that seem to think they are infallible or omnipotent based on their ever decreasing majority. I just don’t get it and I may or may not be the only one but I am highly displeased and the fact that I already didn’t enjoy the aforementioned offenders’ politics in the first place, now I also can add that they are generally mean spirited people.



**I've since reneged on not naming the culprit...

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, at least a hint. Please?

1:53 PM  
Blogger sparkles anonymous! said...

Tease.

2:05 PM  
Blogger jackt said...

Whatever happened to common courtesy and humility these days. I wonder if power corrupts, or if the corrupt seek power.

2:26 PM  
Blogger the belligerent intellectual said...

How am I supposed to know who to send hate mail too if you don't name names? At least tell us if he's male or female.

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Amy said...

I wonder if power corrupts, or if the corrupt seek power.
I think that a combination of both is probably the most likely answer.

Also, I think that Heather should share the name of the "very important man." I would totally tell the internet if a celebrity in my city was mean to the dry-cleaners. (In fact, once Pierce Brosnan was really really mean to a lot of people all at one party, including me...)

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Sweet said...

Tell us! I'm curious now. You're secret's safe with us innocent bloggers, haha.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous dorkette said...

I am completely with you on this. And I love the quote at the beginning of your post. I'm gonna write that one down.

People, in general, disgust me with their behaviors. The entitlement, the rudeness, their willingness to belittle someone else, a HUMAN BEING, in order to give them an inflated, albeit phony, sense of power and superiority.

It makes me ill. And it makes me just plain sad.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Anon: did I mention that the offender was a male? If not, it was a male.

SA: Yes I am.

Jackt: I think that it's a little bit of both. And obviously it probably is on both sides of the aisle, but I just happen to catch those of the other party being particularly rude.

TBI: Male

Amy: Well I won't say who the very important man is, but I will say that Paula Poundstone totally cut in front of me when I was getting food on Saturday. Freakin' celebrities.

Sweet: Yeah right.

Dorkette: I don't get it. Makes you wonder if people were brought up with manners, like ever.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Marci (aka Baby Banana) said...

I AM IMPORTANT! I DEMAND THAT YOU TELL US WHO IT IS, RIGHT NOW!

6:01 PM  
Blogger ocg said...

GO DUCKS!!!

Sorry, couldn't help mself...


I hate rude people... they get me every worked up every time. I find that now if I am in a position to say something to them I will. The poor people working are unable to tell the rude-person how they really feel, so I take my liberties in acting as their voice.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Cheetarah1980 said...

You got me really curious as to who this person is. But that's not important. The fact is, his behavior was uncalled for. The worst part is that he probably wasn't hurting for that $130.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Neil said...

I would love this to be an indictment on Republicans and the Bush Administration, but, sigh!, you see the same behavior in other "power fields," such as on Wall Street, the media, and Hollywood. I guess it is most sad in government, because most of these people are "in power" because of the People who voted them in. And just to be fair, I'm sure some Democratic bigshot is being an asshole at some other cleaners in Georgetown. The scary thought is will we become this way if we are lucky enough to be as successful? Or is this arrogance what enabled many of these people to get into positions of power in the first place?

12:35 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

So we're all clear, I did link to this person's wikipedia page.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Bone said...

Haha. Why doesn't this surprise me?

10:02 AM  
Blogger Marci (aka Baby Banana) said...

Hah Heather, I am dumb (BUT IMPORTANT!)

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Jorge said...

I find it interesting how quite a number of people who have money and are held in high standing seem to be the cheapest pricks on the planet.

Just an observation.

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.