My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Embrace it

“The two most engaging powers of an author are to make new things familiar and familiar things new.” ~Samuel Johnson

As I was surreptitiously avoiding spilling cake all over my shirt, because umm that would totally happen, someone mentioned that they saw my blog in the Express. The last time I read the Express was only after someone else had fished it out of recycling for me, so that I could read about how a former flame was now engaged. He’ll be wearing a seersucker suit, so no love lost there, trust me. Other than that I never read the Express because reading and walking (or driving) could lead to my untimely death. Anyway, one of my blog fears has come true: Going into work and finding out that I’m in the Express. First of all, I’m well aware that it’s not like my blog has been announced in the New York Times (and preceded by ‘signing deal with Simon and Schuster for high six figures’), but it’s one of those things that I’d rather avoid discussing because some people think it’s weird. Let’s be honest here, I’m not exciting, I don’t do anything exciting, and the more exciting things that I do write about involve going to the dry cleaners…whoo freaking hooo. I’m fairly boring and have accepted my boringness and that in general – but not at all times – bloggers can be a bit of a pain in the ass, vain and critical. Hell, I’m not even all that eloquent, and just now I stopped to sit back to figure out what I was trying – very terribly – to say here. So let me regroup…

Ok, what I’m trying to say is that there are bloggers who are expecting to get something bigger from blogging. In the beginning it was because I was bored and now I’m a little less bored but I enjoy the writing and sharing the stupid things that happen only to get comments which show that everyone has the same inane observations about life and people. It’s fun for me. So yes, I am a blogger and yes I’m going to BlogHer and yes I have friends that are bloggers and yes, I enjoy it all.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Angela said...

I am... ignorant... and google actually didn't help me at all for once...

Is The Express the newspaper there?? Regardless, congrats on the mention, it's pretty cool to be recognized whether it's your ultimate goal or not :)

3:05 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Yes, sorry, for the 4 readers that are not from DC, the Express is a condensed version of the Washington Post, it's available on pdf at www.readexpress.com and my mention is on page 40. I can't link to it because adobe hates my guts and wants me to die.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous lorie said...

I'm really curious to hear your thoughts on BlogHer after you've gone. I thought about going but feel like too much of a poseur fraud to hang with the cool girls this year...

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Jorge said...

You're so elite. So US Capitalist.

"The Express" she says.

And here I thought it was the 8 items or less line at the Safeway*.

Which would be an accomplishment.

Either way, sometimes it's not what you say, or how you say it, but a wonderful melding of the two that makes your words magic.

I won't lie and say it doesn't piss me off when I don't get comments**. But then, if I don't, I know that I don't really need them. Nor do I need to blog. I just like it. And I do.

I'm glad you like it as well. You make the days far less boring with your "boringness".

J

* - You like how I included a US Food Store in there? That's right. I'm good like that.

** - I'm looking at you, comments people.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Isabel said...

Wow...I think that's exciting. You are now famous. Will you quit your job? :-)

So, do you hate seersuckers? Because I love it. Does that make me a loser?

Can we still be friends?

1:33 PM  
Blogger MKD said...

Well, I still say "congrats" even if you are boring. :)

6:13 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Lorie: Dude man, I wasn't going to go, then I was going to go and then they ran out of registrations and then I got my registration comped because I'm live blogging two sessions, but email me, because they may still be looking for volunteers. And trust me, I am not cool, but I know "cool" people, which I suppose makes me cool by default.

Jorge: I love that my boringness is entertaining for you. And as for your other comment on me visiting, it's because you live far away and I'm lazy. :-)

Isabel: Seersuckers are ok I suppose, but the person that will be wearing the seersucker isn't ok, which then makes the act of wearing them to annoy the crap out of me. And yes, we're still friends.

MKD: Gracias!

6:58 PM  
Blogger aibee said...

You make boring fun.

Seriously, who knew the dry cleaners could be so entertaining?

:)

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Maliavale said...

*applause!*

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.