My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Franklin Covey

“Life is not long, and too much of it must not pass in idle deliberation how it shall be spent.” ~Samuel Johnson


Bri came to visit for work and to lavish me with alcohol. A well prepared young woman would have established a place to bring a visitor for some Grey Goose and conversation. I am not nor have I ever been a well prepared young woman.

I instead will frantically search WaPo express for a restaurant/bar lounge anywhere in the vicinity, close my eyes and point. Wherever my abnormally long finger happens to land, is the place to be. Because, I said so.

I live a rather humdrum life as somewhat of a recluse. Though I do go out, it’s usually to the same few places that are just there and good enough. Without the advent of open table and dc foodies, I would have a going out diet consisting of Chipotle and Chef Geoff’s. See? Ho hum.

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding among those who don’t know me that because of what I do, that it automatically means that I know people and I know places. I hate it to break it to my many admirers, but I don’t know anyone and I shrug my shoulders when it comes to being decisive about where to go.

Sticking to what I know is what I do best. When I do diverge off the beaten path, it’s usually after strong suggestion from numerous knowledgeable individuals and extensive research into what I’m about to get myself into.

Come to think of it, I do this with everything that will take up a substantial chunk of my short lived life. I was the girl who had picked out a major and knew the exact colleges I wanted to apply to – with a spreadsheet and copious notes to boot – well before I took my PSATs. Peg’s only role was to write a check. I knew I was going to American before I applied to American. If (when, God willing) I apply to graduate school, I already have a concentration, the exact schools picked out, needed GRE scores, application dates and a thesis topic.

I plan quite well for future events and things to happen in 2009. But given something that is to happen tomorrow and I flail around like a baby bird and wonder which way is up. You can always tell when I’m unprepared for taking immediate action – which is like 99% of the time – I tend to get all panicky and then realize my ridiculous ways and say ‘fuck it. Don’t care.’

I let Bri do the pointing and maneuvering and we ended up at Ceiba; where I once again professed my love for Netflix and reasons for why I babysit more than the average person has ever babysat in their entire lives.

Yes, I know. I need to get out more.

8 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Planning is a good thing. And Chipotle? When I worked at my last job, I ate there way too much.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous TJ said...

Netflix is an addiction. I tried the patch but it didn't work. Now I'm back to three deliveries a week.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Dagny: Planning is good. And I guess I should be happy that I only meticulously plan major things as opposed to every single detail of the most trite things.

TJ: This is day five of my Netflix love. It's the best thing evah.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Angela said...

Yeah, I'm a definite planner... I'm trying to be more of a spontaneous planner, but that's not working out so well for me...

And I totally bought a bag yesterday. And tis tres adorable!

2:50 PM  
Anonymous sandra said...

Makes complete sense to me: plan for the big stuff and don't sweat the small (largely because energy has already been spent making spreadsheets for the big!)

4:27 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Angela: YAAAY for bags! And thank God you did it yesterday because now they're sold out of most everything.

Sandra: Glad I made sense to at least one person. I fid it difficult to do that at times. Gah.

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Jorge said...

Try doing the opposite. Overplan your tomorrows, and throw your future to the wind!
:)

9:46 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Jorge, this is so why I keep you around..you're awesome.

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.