My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Blogga

“Let's not forget that the little emotions are the great captains of our lives and we obey them without realizing it.” ~Vincent Van Gogh, 1889*

There has been serious gushing people. That’s all it’s been all damn day long. The type of gushing that might involve sporks to eyes and cries through the tears of ‘My God! Why won’t she stop?!’ But the gushing, it prevails and because it never has before, I’ve allowed it to take hold until I’ve finished telling everyone that I had to resist the urge to place them in my pocket.

The fear and nervousness dissipated far quickly than I had originally suspected. I managed to prevent disconcerting circumstances and no one lashed out at me for my general social awkwardness. I sat and absorbed and looked around, hardly believing that I was able to be apart of such an event. How lucky I was that Elisa and Lisa let me join in. How brilliant I was to save my boy wonder watching money so that I could buy his mother drinks (OMG…did you know that Amy brings her babysitter with her to conferences and NOT her child? Isn’t that absurd?!) and have a giant ass king sized bed to myself. For now, we shall look past – very far past to Pluto or something – the bad parts of a hotel in Tech valley that had no internet access.

It’s something that I can’t put my finger on. Meeting people – women – whose lives I have read and digested and contemplated, though I hardly knew them as more than a cursor on a page. Then I thought how lovely some of these women might be in real life and that it might be fun to have a glass (or four of red with them). I especially love that there really is no perfectly common ground between us and yet Alice exclaimed how happy she was to have met me and Julia said that it felt like Déjà vu with me and I could only say ‘Why thank you. Come to DC. Now’ and that Beth cried and I felt terribly and wondered why (outloud!) even though we hadn’t ever met.

So, do you see? The reason for the gushing? Anyway, let me relish in it for a bit longer and laugh about Y doing the worm and that I got to spend my entire weekend with two of my favorite (I know. You are jealous) people in the entire world who only made fun of me twice for being a few years younger than they (Oh yes I did have a Michael Jackson record and record player). So I will continue with the gushing and the trite clichés about oh great it was to meet people. For at least it will keep me from being in despair about the awful thing that I said last week that almost left me homeless (and yet I keep picking at it and picking at it) and that my apartment looks like the aftermath of some horrid tornado. That is if tornados sucked up and spit out random clothing, a purple couch and an ironing board in the middle of the hallway.


*the original quote was to be “Like a fairy godmother mafia” but found that to be too obvious and predictable. No?

14 Comments:

Blogger carmens said...

You only mentioned the wine, and no other drinks.

Hmmm, I wonder why THAT was.....

I'm totally making a paperchain to count down to next year.

9:31 PM  
Blogger sparkles anonymous! said...

Um.

Gushers.

I just thought I'd let you know.

9:32 PM  
Blogger RoarSavage said...

I think tornadoes can and do spit those things out. But not to worry, Roomie, we'll get it straightened out soon enough. Good luck tonight!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Carmens: THAT is because I always speak of wine. Wine is good. Ok, that wine wasn't all too great but I love the grapes and will stick by them.

SA: Yes. Thank you. Tis the reason for why I love you.

Roary: Gracias. I will enjoy sleeping on the floor and pretend it's cool.

9:42 PM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

Glad you had such a good time!

Did you meet my friend, Deni, (Last Girl on Earth?)

8:29 AM  
Blogger Foodmomiac said...

I had no clue you were socially awkward. You fooled me!!!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

LisaB: Deni Bonet? That's the only Deni I 'met' but I didn't really meet her, but I did liveblog her session.

Foodmomiac: That's because by the time you met me I had already had three of those very special martinis in the wine glasses. From the very special Hyatt bar. And also, you're just so nice and easy to talk to and you knew everyone I knew. And..and...I just think you're awesome.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Dagny said...

Cocktails can make any awkward situation so comfortable.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Marci (aka Baby Banana) said...

I love how you act all socially backward here, when in truth you are totes charming in person. Or are you just trying to temper expectations?

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Angela said...

It sounds like so much fun... maybe next year I'll make it!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

People! DO NOT LISTEN TO MARCI! For I am very socially awkward and weird and attached. It's awful.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous LisaBinDaCity said...

Yup, Deni Bonet.

And come visit sometime, will ya ;-)

3:16 PM  
Blogger Marci (aka Baby Banana) said...

Ha! Heather, it won't work, your secret charming self will be outed soon enough. If not for the sole fact that you keep accepting those social invitations.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Jorge said...

One word:
BlogHurl

And no, I'm not making fun of BlogHer.

I am, rather, referring to a possible event in November...

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.