My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Transforming your life

“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” ~Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Brought to you by:
Nina Smith
Deni Bonet
Cathy Kirkman

Preface: I’m laughing my ass off if you even remotely think that I will be transforming your life. Hell I can’t even transform my life. I’m clueless, in case you didn’t know that already. But these women have transformed their lives for the better (at least I think, but we shall learn about that) via their blogs.

With my blog I’ve transformed my typing skills, my use of dictionary.com and their word of the day, my drinking skills and well, we’re slowly working on my people skills. And my therapy bill is now non-existent huzzah! So I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that these women have done considerably more than I have in the transformation arena. And I will learn from them and absorb and wish that I were a better person. Natch.

Session:

Cathy is a lawyer and has a blog for lawyers, which has gotten her extra business.

Nina publishes a blog called QueerCents that is a personal finance blog for gays and lesbians. By creating a community (see with that word here…) she has been able to get published and become an expert on financial planning.

Deni is a musician who was dared into blogging by her husband who thought that her life was interesting therefore figured that others would like to read about it.

The important thing to understand about blogging is the way it changes your life (both good and bad) and how it changes your communication tactics; which are intangible results. The tangible being a new business or developing a brand.

Oh and once again with the audience participation…which is awesome. It’s especially interesting to hear how others have started their blogs and how their lives have changed because of it.

Carmen (an audience member) – who I now love – has six children which was the topic of discussion for her blog until Christmas day when she saw pictures of herself and decided to use her blog to motivate her weight loss. People! She even records what she eats! I am thoroughly impressed, not just because of her 42 pound weight loss but because of the sense of community and support that she found from other people via her blog.

Ok, now there is a woman who, via her blog, has taught podcasting and been on commercials In. China. CHINA. For newbies, just an FYI, people everywhere can read your blog and there is nothing better than getting an email from someone 50,000 miles away saying that they love you. Nothing.

Oh and another of my favorite things is hearing about how people have used blogging as their new (and free!) way of self therapy. Which some may or may not disagree with, but it does give people a new way of expressing their emotions.

Someone just expressed how much time blogging takes. It’s hard work and though very interesting it can be time consuming. There are also umm other bad things that can happen, such as one woman almost lost custody of her child. That is very bad. If there is one thing I’ve learned via this whole blogging network is that people will and easily read EVERYTHING that you write. NO matter how unpopular you think you are SOMEONE will read it. The end.

And I think that is a nice little way to end things. That they – blogs – can be transforming in powerful, good and bad things but if there is one thing that canot be stressed enough it’s being careful of content. Because the same content that will bring comments to your site in appreciation are the same posts that can screw you over.

And now? We drink.

(And now, no more liveblogging for a very, very, very long time, for I am tired)

6 Comments:

Blogger LaLa said...

I love your blog, and can't wait to read it all. Thanks for making me feel like part of a community. Have fun at Blogher, I wish I was there!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Carmen said...

Oh, my GOD. You actually blogged ME.

I'm so happy that I was able to inspire someone.

I really like your blog and I'll be back for more!

2:11 PM  
Blogger KassyK said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Jorge said...

A serious question...

Does everyone who uses their blog as an agent of change, use it to change themselves for the better?

9:22 PM  
Blogger Isabel said...

It sounds like BlogHer was not only fun but also informative.

I'm, again, reminded that I'm bummed I didn't go.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Trish said...

YOu can never be too careful about what you write. Actually, I lost custody of my son for a year and they had no proof of anything other than using my angry blog posts. Always realize that you never know who is reading and watching.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.