My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 10, 2006

We do not speak of that

“An inability to stay quiet is one of the most conspicuous failings of mankind.” ~Walter Bagehot

It’s probably none too polite to speak of a woman who went into histrionics on Saturday or the very serious and exasperated way in which she told a four year old to get his ‘fucking’ shoes on. Or my horror in witnessing such a thing. Because what does one privy to that sort of thing do? Mind your own business and keep it moving and then quietly wonder to yourself why it feels like this woman may shoot lasers out of her eyes, straight to your cerebellum if you so much as smile or speak of joy, rainbows and puppies.

I’m always the one twiddling my thumbs and looking in the opposite direction. Whilst my mind wanders and I try to put all that I see into provocative and coherent sentences. But I do not. Because there are just some things that you cannot possibly divulge. Or because one person’s provocative and coherent is another’s vapid and ambiguous.

But between you and me, what I really think is that somebody needs to get laid.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Whinger said...

Poor 4-year-old.

And there's not a lot you CAN do, much as that's frustrating.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous isabel said...

I hate seeing things like that. You're probably right...she just needs a good roll in the hay.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Sweet said...

Did you see this?

http://www.sournsweet.com/?p=337

Too funny, if only that seven-year-old at the beach had been there to say that line to her.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Angela said...

Hm, yeah. It's hard with parents and their kids to know what the right thing to say is. I'm like you though, I'm more of a "looking the other way" kind of girl. Like when I went with my dad to pick up a pizza last weekend and watched in stupefied horror as a 7-8ish year old boy stood in front of the restaurant, whipped out his personal business, and proceeded to water the lawn. Do you say something to the parents? Do you keep your mouth shut? We just took our pizza and left--unless there is bodily harm at stake I guess I generally feel like it's best to keep my opinions on other's parenting skills to myself!!

3:40 PM  
Blogger RoarSavage said...

Marital Problems! ...but it doesn't give you an excuse to be a rancid b!tch, ya know? Poor kid.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Marci (aka Baby Banana) said...

Ouch. Probably was my mom. So sorry. Keep moving. Nothing to see here folks. She like to swear is all...

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Jacynth said...

Maybe hand the woman some ice cubes to munch on and a label to peel? Then she might lay off the 4 year old...

6:21 PM  
Anonymous MappyB said...

I have a really hard time keeping my mouth shut in those situations!

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Jorge said...

Sometimes I will say something, depending on the kid's eyes.

It's ridiculous that people do such things to their offspring, but it's their business I suppose.

Of course, if I feel like yelling advice out loud int he form of a soliloquy then so be it.

11:42 PM  
Blogger darlin nikki said...

working retail i saw a lot of that shit and i just kept my mouth shut and did everything in my power to move them on, hoping against hope that somewhere down the line they reached the place were they weren't such moronic suckers. blar!

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess now would be as good a time as any to say that these are people that I actually know.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Eeek. Poor kid.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

And duh, the anonymous one was me. Because we're all about anonymity over here.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous LisaBinDaCity said...

I think that woman needs to be slapped up side of her head. HARD. WTF is wrong with her???

9:38 AM  
Blogger Shafa said...

You said vapid.

That's awesome.

And that woman needs to be smacked.

In the face.

With a concrete block.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.