My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

So I've heard

“When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is.” ~Oscar Wilde

I’ve recently been enlightened on this new fangled – to me at least – thing called ‘saving’. Or at least I think that’s the proper term for it. From what I understand, when one receives money for completing a service, instead of spending every last cent of said money on random objects of desire, one puts some percentage or predetermined amount of the full amount tendered into a separate account which then garners – gosh, what’s the word?, Oh yes! – interest. Over time, the premise is to accumulate enough money that in the event of emergency, be it natural disaster or of one’s own stupidity, s/he who accumulated this money and the additional interest, will not have to resort to groveling or begging. At least I think that is how it works, but then again I’ve never been to sure.

Because of this new(ish) phenomenon of ‘saving’ I have succumbed to the demands of my parents, jesus, my own foolish will to budget. I don’t budget. I’ve never budgeted. Hell, I have a problem making a table to use for the budgeting. We’re on a roll over here. This budgeting idea came up after an incident last week known in these parts as Apartment Hell 2006 (t-shirts to come next week!) And let me tell you it was a doozie and really fun. Especially fun when I had to ask my parents, not once, but twice for $1000 from each of them; because I did not have $1000. I did not have $1.

I just don’t know where it goes. I don’t. I get paid, I babysit, the money goes into an account and then two weeks later, I’m trying to spend my last $8 at Whole Foods. Though part of me realizes that that may be part of the problem as well as a little something called alcoholism, wine is not cheap. Well, some wine is cheap, but life is too short to drink cheap wine, so I do not.

This whole budgeting thing has put a bit of a kink in my normally wonderful life where I spend way too much time at Nordstrom. Ahh times were good then. That’s how I would make myself feel better: by purchasing countless pairs of shoes and then proclaiming that they were a necessity and well shoes always fit, clothing doesn’t. Though the budgeting didn’t stop me from professing my undying love for Jeff Tunks last night. In fact he is my crush, so there, now you know.

Anyway, there that is. I’m on a budget and not a damn soul feels bad for me. Not even my mother. My own mother does not feel badly for me, when I have to make a decision between this hoodie or these shoes. A travesty people.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Lola said...

Buy the shoes.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I've never tried to wear wedges that high before. Are they hard to walk in?

And cheap wine-- tastes fine at first, but once you know better you can never go back. Unless you're totally desperate. Or spending your paycheck on roof repairs.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Marci (aka Baby Banana) said...

I was going to say "Shoes! [and possibly some other words not fit for the eyes of young children]".

Shoes are generally a no brainer, as you explain here. So I clicked on the shoes first and when I laid my eyes upon them I yelled the above in my head again (more emphatically this time). Then, to be fair, I clicked on the hoodie just to see what we were dealing with and also to see if perhaps I really should print the profanity to emhpasize my point of SHOES, but lo, the hoodie is totes fab and now I understand your conundrum. I also may have to purchase said hoodie myself.

But, hey, look at that I have a savings account.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Sta said...

The hoodie link doesn't work for me, but I can say with some confidence -- always go for the shoes.

Plus, they're awesome, even if they will only wear comfortably for about 2.5 hours.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous carmen said...

Well, I can't see the hoodie any more, but the shoes are tres chic. I'd buy them, and more importantly WEAR THEM.

I know not this "budget" of which you speak......

8:14 PM  
Blogger DivineDiva said...

Oh the shoes...definatly .

10:51 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

So apparently the hoodie is no longer visible because Gap is being all updatey like. Instead you get an HB visual (ahem): It's 'Heather gray' cashmere. With buttons partway down the front and a 'kangaroo' pocket. I can put my little joey in there if need be. It's positively delicious and I love cashmere, it's just so useful and wonderful. I'm in love with a fucking sweater.

11:14 PM  
Blogger sweetney said...

budget? what's that? heh.

...and so i reveal precisely why it is we have an absurd amount of credit card debt. which i try not to think about. ever.

uhh, what was i saying?

9:36 AM  
Anonymous lorie said...

I have a savings account and am enrolled in that whole BoA "Keep the Change" thing - and yet I'm swiping those ten dollars or so near the end of every month. It's a sickness, I tell you. My spending magically inflates to meet or exceed my earning.

That said, I have been doing a bit better with the whole budgeting thing since I started keeping an INSANE and TOTALLY ANAL and RIDICULOUS banking register in Excel, complete with color-coding, autofilters, and spending categories.

5:46 PM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

Yes it's a travesty to miss out on the clothes of your dreams, but it's more of a travesty not to have independence and self respect.

*steps down off soapbox*

2:36 PM  
Blogger Adeline said...

i agree, get the shoes, they are rockin.

a plug, ING Direct has an online savings account with almost 5% interest and it is hard to get ones money out, plus the interest and the level of security they have, its pretty good. thats how i save.

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.