My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Favorite Days

“’Well,’ said Pooh, ‘what I like best,’ and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.” ~A.A. Milne

Christmas is always a good one. I love it. I love every Carol of the Bells and wrapping paper filled moment. And being selfish inevitably means I enjoy the presents.

My birthday: Again with the presents and the love and being a wino inevitably means I enjoy the (many) free drinks.

While I enjoy pointing out my general weird traits like ice chewing and listening to ABBA, I am reluctant to mention how much I enjoy days like today. No matter how cloudy or gray, the anticipation of today is always lurking and well, it’s just odd. But here goes: Election Day. I fucking love Election Day. Ok, so today is Primary Day, but I still love it.

I’m less than inclined to hop upon a soapbox and give a lecture on the importance of voting and democracy. But will instead say that it’s the anticipation of what will happen and what can happen that drives me to enjoy it so much. Those who know me in real life know why I feel so strongly about it but this isn’t “real life” or a place for me to divulge all, so I’ll leave it at that.

Besides, the excitement and eagerness for an even numbered year makes me seem less selfish, as it isn't just all about me. The first Tuesday in November arrives and my heart pumps with giddiness. For once I look forward to a day in which I really am clueless as to how it will end* and it’s a day that is most certainly not about buying me things. While I know that I enjoy my freedom and stickers that proudly say ‘I voted’, several other million people enjoy the same. It’s a day without presents and yet there is fanfare and joy (and sorrow. But let’s be optimistic here, kids) and awaiting the end. Emotions fluctuate and sometimes there are tears but either way Election Day always drives me to want to do better.

Of course all of this is preemptive optimism and come November 8th I might be the most miserable person on the planet. I might even be forced to use the ‘F’ word more than usual. Think optimism and blue, kids.


*Election Day 2004 will always be my favorite. I got to Peg’s hotel room at 4 AM and proceeded to scream, cry and throw things and then scream some more. Picture me livid. Now multiply that by 147 and the square root of 25. I think pissed is the word that we're looking for here.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Jorge said...

Here are some of mine:

Interior camping trip weekend - I LOVE these days.

Mrs J's Birthday - So awesome. Nothing beats spoiling someone.

The anniversary of my survival - Back in 2001 I survived a possibly fatal car crash. We celebrate every year.

10:48 PM  
Blogger treespotter said...

never realize girls can get all so worked up with politics.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

jorge: oh yes, I probably should have asked what your favorite days are. But I'm kinda selfish like that.

So yeah, what are y'alls favorite days?

treespotter: oh my god, you have no idea. i love it.

another secret: when I can't sleep I name all the US Senators by state from east coast to west coast. I'm actually pretty good at it.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Bone said...

Christmas and Christmas Eve, and all the days leading up to it are my favorites.

My favorite thing about my birthday is hearing from family and friends.

PS: I'm pulling for your team, HB.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Wryter said...

Right there with you, Heather!!

If you've ever stood outside a polling place from 6 am till 8 pm when the polls close... eyeing every person as they come in looking for the slightest cue that they're with your side. (And muttering snide comments at those who avert your gaze and quicken their steps to get in the door...) Then you know!

There is NOTHING like Election Day. It's a day long buzzer-beater from half court. And the thing is... you KNOW that once the ball is in the air, it's in the air. You work hard... and watch... and marvel.

Then you celebrate or rend your garments. (Sometimes both.) When you recover.... you start jonesing for a lawn sign.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Marci (aka Baby Banana) said...

You are the cutest nerd ever ;)

My favorite days? Birthday, Christmas Eve (but I like the weeks leading up to it better), the start of regular-season football, and almost every Saturday.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

sir bone: Why thanks, pal ;-)

bri: being outside of a polling place is always my favorite time of day. I could care less that it's 13 degrees, I still love it.

marci: thanks man! oh yeah, I forgot to add the first day of football season and opening day of baseball.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.