My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Summer's End

"Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it." ~Russel Baker


So a little bit of a newsflash that I’ve been seeing just about everywhere: Summer is over, school is back in session and mothers across the country (world too I suppose) are rejoicing and there is confetti and balloons and margaritas. I even received emails from the American University notifying me of Welcome Week activities on the quad and the Container Store is having a back to school sale and…and…nothing. Because this week feels exactly like the other 51 prior.

Here’s another fun fact about working that you don’t really think about when the HR department uses the phrase “And Blue Cross Blue Shield covers everything” quadruple exclamation point: The seasons? They all run together like one giant 365 day blob where you don’t even realize that it’s Christmas until sometime near December 15th and by then you’re ordering maniacally from Barnes and Noble.

Maybe I’m feeling a bit cynical and off kilter because since last year – my first year of careerdom - I’ve had a pang of sadness come August, when I start to feel the changes in the air or I’m driving through the city and I see 47 eager Freshman in brand new Polos traipsing around Georgetown with their parents. Call it jealousy or whatever, but that’s how I’m feeling.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy my job and I like working and having a new sense of freedom and the ability to make my own decisions. Though daunting, it can also be exhilarating that I’m doing things that I really want to do and no one can tell me otherwise. But it is also so terribly hard to go from having all the time in the world and vacations and summer camp and a week to just ‘BE’ on a beach somewhere far far away. It’s as if one day I had all of those things – and of course complained because summer camp was just so terribly difficult – and the next day *poof*. Gone.

I’d be remiss not to mention that I did just return from a (very brief) vacation (Read: long weekend) in lovely Martha’s Vineyard. Though nice, I do recall sitting around one afternoon watching MSNBC and hearing that people need actual week long vacations in order to keep from wanting to step out in traffic. The ‘experts’ also made it very clear that a ‘long weekend’ just doesn’t cut it. Upon hearing this I whimpered.

I need a time machine. So that I can be transported back to 1998 – hell, 2003 – and be forced to take a vacation or to nap without having to worry about what I would be leaving behind or coming back to. Hindsight is so very 20/20. It’s amazing how little I appreciated the Christmas break, winter break, spring break and blizzards. If only I could do it all over again, but this time with feeling.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lux Lisbon said...

no regrets. they distract from the now!

at the rapidly approaching milestone age of "none of your fucking business" i will be joining those young polo wearing kids as i attempt to actually finish my long put off degree. i envy those who did it right away.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Neil said...

I've been out of school for a while, and I still miss that "fall buzz" of the new school season. It was as if Septemeber was really the "New Year." That gets totally lost in the working world.

1:06 PM  
Anonymous stephanie said...

I feel the same exact way. I was with my brother the other day in Staples while he was picking up some school supplies and I was just so sad that I had no reason to buy the pretty pack of SIX different colors of my favorite pens. And the highlighters. And the college-ruled spiral notebooks.

I also need a vacation BAD and it's just not in the cards. One day off doesn't cut it. And you can't just skip work like you could skip class. (Skip class? Who me?)

7:04 PM  
Blogger Isabel said...

Please don't say that summer is over. I'm not ready for it.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.