My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Turista

"City of dreams, you don't know what it means, to only dream about it, I know" - Marah

My last visit to the National Zoo was on an 8th grade field trip. This is funny, not just because I’ve been living here for five years, but beause I spent four of the past five years, living with in spitting distance of the zoo. And yet, I have not been, not once.

Do you ever forget where you are? There are days when I'm walking down the street only to be stopped in my tracks by a group of Japanese tourists staring at the great phallus symbol in the sky. Oh yes, I remember. It happens more than once, that I look out my window or see David Wu casually chatting with his neighbors and I remember where I live and how much I had always wanted to live here and that people actually pay good money to come to this city only to be accosted for not standing on the right side of the metro. Which: OH my hell. The end.

So, I decided to go out and stand amongst the hoi polloi. Actually, I just really needed a little Tiziano in my life and he and his Venetian painting ass would be gone after Sunday. This leads me to another point - perhaps entire post - about how much I miss
Europe. In Europe I spent hours being touristy and letting the Spaniards know that Uggs are the most comfortable things ever, in life, I don’t care how fugly they are. I spent hours staring at Reina Sophia and Museo Borghese and the landscaping and architecture; I dunno, I guess I’ve been spoiled. Being here after seeing all of that – not that I’ve seen much, of that I can assure you – kind of makes me think “eh” when it comes to traipsing around DC. But that doesn’t stop the kids from Duluth Christian Academy from rolling on through:




Still my favorite building ever. Love it. I'm actually trained to give tours there. I can tell you all about the frieze in the dome.


Look! People in Georgetown who aren't annoying!


Would it be immature of me to say that there's a giant penis right there?


Goya! Where have you been all my life?


In my next life, I'm going to have a little boy atop a fountain in my living room.

19 Comments:

Anonymous stephanie said...

My favorite building ever has to be the Supreme Court, but I do have a special soft spot for the Capitol. I love that on my walk home from work or on my (infrequent) runs, heading towards the Capitol means I'm heading home. Yeah, living in this city is pretty awesome for a nerd like me.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous jes said...

When I come to DC, I'm totally hiring you as my tourist guide.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Buffy said...

I LOVE Georgetown.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

And by 'phalanx' I meant 'phallus'

And I totally went to college. I swear.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Namaste said...

My main question is: How did you get away with taking pictures in the Reina Sofia? I'm jealous...

3:13 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

What's funny is the number of times I've seen people striking identical poses next to that fountain for pictures...

4:32 PM  
Blogger Lena said...

You can't NOT say it's a giant penis.

And I don't think you've really arrived until you have a small boy statue somewhere in pose. I have one on a bike on my mantel from Pier 1. Does that count? ;)

7:56 PM  
Blogger Dagny said...

I'm with Stephanie on the Supreme Court. Living in the Bay Area there are places I only go to when folks are visiting. Then when I get there, I ask myself, "Why don't I come here more often?" I make promises with myself to visit but it never happens.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Lux Lisbon said...

why wait until your next life? there's no time like now!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

stephanie: It is a very nice building. And apparently hundreds of tourists staring at it from the middle of the sidewalk, blocking the way of others because they're so mesmerized, feel the same.

jes: Sure! I'll even show you the dry cleaner that Ken Mehlman and I both hate.

buffy: In general I love georgetown as well, but I can only handle so much of the lily pulitzer, gucci bag carrying crowd.

namaste: I wish you could take pictures in Reina Sofia, but alas, you cannot. But you can take pictures at the Prado and at the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam. The Goyas that I took pictures of are from the National Gallery.

liz: why oh why, does that not surprise me...

lena: I knew you'd be with me on that one.

dagny: at least you take people who are visiting to all the touristy places. I take all of my visitors to my favorite bar and if they're lucky, to georgetown. A museum though? Never.

lux: that's it then! I'm getting a fountain with a little boy on top. It will look really great in my living room.

10:11 AM  
Blogger treespotter said...

sorry, this is slightly OOT, but catching up with bloglines, i'm surprised by how many people go to the zoo this week. is there some sort of announcement that missed?

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Jorge said...

No one ever really appreciates where they are from.

Europe is great, but stinks like Diesel.
;)

11:51 AM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

Girlfriend, neither have I...(been to the zoo, that is). Maybe I don't go on enough dates?

5:19 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

treespotter:oh yes! didn't you hear! there is an abundance of black squirrels out this year and the chimps are mating.

I didn't actually go to the zoo, but I thought about it for like 2 seconds.

jorge: so very true. ever since I left upstate NY, I'm all "Albany is the shit! word!" and yet when I lived there, I hated that place.

cookie:OH, the second someone tries to take me on a date to the zoo, it's over.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous LisaBinDaCity said...

I hear ya. NY is SUCH a melting pot of different races, creeds, cultures and all that stuff ;-)

5:39 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

i have to agree the Capitol is pretty spectacular as far as U.S. institutions go. and i love this post. however, i am dismayed that you spread the fugliness that is Uggs to a foreign country. the spaniards have too much style my dear! :)

7:23 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

lisab: and that my friend, is why I love NY. Though DC is a melting pot: Republicans, Democrats, general crazy people all mixing it up together to make our country a better place to live.

ahem

vp of dior: fucking ugly as hell, but the most comfortable things ever. I will wear my uggs proudly to prove to the world that yes, americans actively choose to dress poorly.

9:47 PM  
Blogger treespotter said...

hmm... now i'm thinking of going to the zoo too.


okay. now i'm not.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous mitty said...

those are some great pictures

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.