My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Le chat noir

*This post brought to you by the letter ‘O’ for ‘Oh my hell I need some wine and perhaps a lobotomy’

“There are very few monsters who warrant the fear we have of them.” ~Andre Gide

My neighbor has a black outdoor cat. Thusly, every evening it crosses my path on my way home from work and I inadvertently am taken aback. It’s my ever present superstition that makes me do it. That fears that if a black cat crosses my path, then inevitably something bad will happen. And though I try to talk myself out of it, I cannot feel anything but that.

One night it followed me to my car and last night it stared at me while I sat outside. I couldn’t help but think of the bad luck that might come off of it: Like its glare would lead to years of bad luck and that all of the things that I wanted would be thrown to the wayside due to interaction with a black cat.

Though I doubt anything bad that occurs today or better yet, as of late, is permanent. Much of it is self – inflicted bad things and fear of being jinxed, I know that it most likely will not last forever. But there’s that inexorable nagging and the fact that at this very moment in time, it is all so very important to me. All of the things that I want that I fret over, are all very important even though in the grand scheme of things, they are not. Nevertheless and much to my chagrin, there will always be something stopping me not necessarily a black cat or some other superstition, but something – anything – that will cause me to think that I won’t get something. And that fear – a fear of something that I’ve miraculously conjured up based on no concrete evidence – is the worst feeling of all.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Gooseberried said...

I don't believe in superstitions, nor do I believe in karma. Good things and shitty things happen to ALL people. It's called life.

I'm highly allergic to cats and on top of that, I hate them. If it were me, and I know this is very cruel, I would probably kick it, especially if it were staring at me. Say sorry to your neighbor for me.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Janet said...

Oh man, I have a black cat that goes outside and probably crosses people's paths. I never thought about the fact that it might make them superstitious about their luck.

7:28 PM  
Blogger GirlGoyle said...

If it crosses your path it is said to be bad luck. But if you spot a black cat and it doesn't cross your path, it's good luck. So I guess for you it probably balances out. Plus, I bet if you look real close you'll find it has a white spot somewhere...anywhwere.

5:12 AM  
Anonymous heather b said...

see, i like cats, and would therefore want to chase it down, grab it, and be like "OMFG KITTIIIIIIIIEEEEEEE! I LOOOOOOOOOOVE YOU!" and thusly make it scared to even EXIST around me from that point on.

my roommate's cat spent a good portion of time hiding from me when I first moved in.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Heather Anne said...

Maybe you should pet the little guy! Or maybe you should name him. Then when he darts in front of you, you can be all, "Well good evening, Sir Nicholas de Mimsy Poppington."

10:48 AM  
Anonymous lorie said...

I'm pretty superstitious about a lot of silly things, but I think growing up with a black cat helped cure me of that one. If I got upset every time he crossed my path, I'd never have left the house. Ever.

Also, I tried like ten times to post a comment yesterday on Wednesday's post to tell you that you might like rioja, one of my new favorite reds. But Blogger was feeling grumpy and wouldn't let me load the comments page.

That is all.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Rebecca said...

Yeah, i agree with the above poster. Nearly all black kitties have a white spot. Mine has one on his lower belly which makes it look as though he's sporting a gender-appropriate bathing suit. You've got nothin' to worry about.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

gooseberried: I have a friend who finds felines abhorrent and has a little toy which is a cat being tossed by a catapult. I actually don't mind them that much.

Janet: You see, most normal people wouldn't notice such a thing. I am not normal, hence this post.

Girlgoyle: I'll make sure to check it out later. When it crosses my path and I get hit by a car. Damn luck. I kid. Sort of.

heather b: I actually used to have a cat that I adored. In fact a black cat named Salem after the cat on Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

Heather Anne: "Well good evening, Sir Nicholas de Mimsy Poppington." That slayed me.

Lorie: I actually looooove Rioja. Tasty. And sometimes blogger can be an evil whore.

Rebecca: Oh ok, good. So no more freak outs. Promise.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Isabel said...

I turned 13 on Friday the 13th. And also 30.

Is that bad luck?

4:32 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Isabel: hmmmmm. Well so far so good. I mean you've got that cute little kiddo over there, so that must be excellent luck.

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.