My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Pity party for one

“I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.” ~Joe Walsh

So there was supposed to be a well written post about my progress and how I enjoyed polenta lasagna with fresh pesto and half a bottle of wine and my roommate and I were brought together by the phrase “Fendi outlet” which I’m sure would bring any two people with a sense of bargain shopping together. Alas, there will not be because I just found out that I will not be enjoying Las Vegas with my brothers and my father.

But since I must take a vacation that’s not to Martha’s Vineyard, which while lovely, gets a little old, and every year I (and by ‘every year’ I mean ‘last year when I finally had to start paying for and actually planning my own vacations and realized that I didn’t have $9,000 to frolic around Europe again. And well, I’ll be damned’) I say that I’m going to go somewhere and yet I do not. I go to Martha’s Vineyard and indulged on fried clams and sit on my ass and eat pie. (Of course I’m exaggerating slightly because if I remember correctly in 2003 I went to Rome/Naples/Sorrento/Pompei and in 2004 I went to Madrid/Mallorca/Portugal/Morocco/Amsterdam and in 2005 I didn’t go anywhere because I’m lazy. Minor detail.)

I would like to go somewhere in either March or April. That requires a passport. I’m fluent in Spanish. I could go alone** without being shot or something (though even that is probably not going to happen, but definitely could go alone) and I’ve already been to Spain, Italy, Morocco, The Netherlands, Mexico, Jamaica, Portugal, and if you suggest Canada, I’ll hit you. Hard.

OR!

I could suck it up and just go out to Las Vegas a few days early and then meet my brothers and father there and then fly back earlier than they would. But that would require maturity. Which is something we all know that I am genuinely incapable of. So instead, I wine.

The end.

*Lord, I hope you all (sorry, ‘ya’ll’) aren’t taking me seriously. Because this is such trite shit to complain about and do not pity me. Instead offer suggestions of where to go, because now I’m flailing.

** I should also mention that I want to go away alone, not because I have to, but because I’m a misanthrope like that.

19 Comments:

Blogger Foodmomiac said...

We're going to New Orleans for Christmas. Great music, great food, AWESOME deals on hotels (4 star for $99/night), and they really could use the tourism dollars.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Heather Anne said...

I like to go away alone, too. Jamaica sounds good right now. I spent 3 months there in 2003. England sounds good always. I spent too little 2 weeks there last December. You're making my wanderlust kick in full throttle. Thanks for that.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Foodmomiac: I didn't even think continental US until I saw your comment. Or perhaps even Alaska. Hmmmm.

Heather Anne: I've actually never been to England and thought about it. Either there or Paris. Hmmm (Again).

4:58 PM  
Anonymous alyndabear said...

NEW ZEALAND, lady.

And come in January. There will be alcohol and a tour bus involved.

*bounces*

5:10 PM  
Anonymous jes said...

Forget your Spanish. Go somewhere like Thailand. Or China. And then I'll be tempted to go with you, except you said alone, and except I don't have any more vacation time. But I'll WISH I was with you.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous kerrianne said...

Yes, I vote for England. Or Egypt. Egypt is one my top ten list.

7:32 PM  
Anonymous glennia said...

How about Costa Rica? Lovely beaches and rainforest canopy. Buenos Aires is a very cool city and the people there are be-yoo-tiful. The dollar goes a long way in S. America; Europe, not so much.

Egypt is cool, but you should not go alone unless you're on a tour. Have fun!

8:01 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

i would give my left tit to go to italy again. i had so much fun there.


but for you, have you considered the phillipines? there are many areas down there where they speak spanish, as well as a hybrid of other languages

10:49 PM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

Go to London because that's where I'll be the last week of March and I like the idea of sort of knowing someone in the country who could bail me out of jail if necessary. What about surf camp in Costa Rica?

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Abigail said...

Dude, do the Sweden/Denmark thing. I did it in '99 and almost stayed there but my dad said I had to finish high school.

Two words: legalized marijuana.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Ok here's the deal with London, while it's one of those places I should probably go to, it's not like "WOW! I'm on the first plane to Heathrow!! Wheee!"

Also I can handle the rate of the Euro but the thought of my dollar going like half as far in England gives me hives. But Costa Rica sounds awesome. Really awesome.

Now I'm all "Vegas? Who cares about Vegas"

Keep the suggestions coming and I will keep you all posted.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

M and I are going to Ireland next year for some hiking and copious amounts of beer. Wanna come?

10:31 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

True story: I once asked my coworker who she was going with on her Honeymoon. Seriously.

(It's the wine that has done me in)

So while so tempting, I cannot. But I'll watch Alex if you want.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous guinness girl said...

Heather, a friend of mine went to surf camp, uh...somewhere down there? - if you really start tossing the idea around, I'm happy to get deets for ya. She said it was awesome. Personally, I have always wanted to go to Finland. Or, really, anywhere that I can go on a sleigh ride. Ooh, and Germany! With all those beer houses and whatnot? Or Belgium! Mmm. The Belgians make some mighty fine brew, too. Mmmm. Screw Finland. I've never heard of beer from Finland. I am rambley today - sorry!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Bone said...

I had almost forgotten you were a misanthrope. Didn't you used to have something about that in your blog description? I think that's what first attracted me to your blog.

12:09 PM  
Anonymous bloggadocio said...

All depends on what you want to get out of your trip. If more lazing - then pick something w/ a similar culture (London) or a place where one of the languages you know is spoken.

But if you want culturally unique go Thailand or Turkey (Bodrum is beautiful).

For sightseeing try Iceland or Norway (hot springs and fjords!)

For the purely exotic, as in "yeah, i've been there" how about Malta?!

Ok, this just seems to be my travel wishlist - how selfish of me.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Wryter said...

Iceland: Read about the hot springs. It's the new.. uh.. Something anyway.

Speaking "continentally,"...

New Orleans: Agree with "foodie". I've been there twice in December, but pre-K. Still, you can't beat the food, the beignets, or even the Celtic Christmas they do at O'Flaherty's Irish Channel Pub!

San Antonio: Is fun for a short stay. After 2 nights, if you're not tubing on a river somewhere, it gets old.

Nashville: An easy place to go it solo. A GREAT place to people watch.

Ireland: I have never been. I. Will. Go. With. You. As long as I get to drink, sing, and weep. (And how is that different from any othter day???)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Ok, a friend of mine sent me this site: www.latindestinations.com

Which is where she planned her trip to Belize. Y'all, I am so freaking ready to head to Belize. Like today or Costa Rica, hello! Surf camp! Awesome.

And Wryter, if I go to Ireland, you could come though I wonder if they have dishwater there? ;-)

But Nashville, sounds like a good long weekend. Like maybe MLK weekend or something...? hmmmm. I just want to go somewhere. Anywhere.

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Gooseberried said...

I like that quote.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.