My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, November 20, 2006

With sadness

“Technology... is a queer thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other.” ~C.P. Snow, New York Times, 15 March 1971


After five years, including a terrorist attack, a sniper, and general neglect, and that time that I broke the latch while highly inebriated, my laptop, a 2001 Sony Vaio, has succumbed after a long battle with my bullshit rants and the occasional virus and hard drive replacement. Our last moments together were while chatting with my pal and attempting to do a blogger verification. At which point I wanted to kill the fuckers who thought of word verification.

In lieu of flowers, I just request that you all treat your computers and hard drives with lots of love and respect.

I’m both highly devastated, as this is the computer I’ve had for five years. Since freshman year of college. But also a little giddy that I could go to bed and watch movies and clean my room without having to write anything or read a blog. People, I went to bed last night at 10:15!!! It was lovely.

Anyway, it’s time for me to make the switch and to get to know Steve Jobs a little better. So I write this not with sadness, but happiness that I now have an excuse to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a piece of metal. Though know that after depleting my savings account, I will be treating my new laptop with respect, love and tenderness.

Any suggestions for a name for my new baby? (Expected due date November 22, 2006)

16 Comments:

Blogger Heather Anne said...

You have my deepest sympathies. Best wishes for your new love. I think you should name him Lester.

10:56 AM  
Blogger honeykbee said...

My condolences and congratulations. How about...Aurora?

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Angela said...

Oh dear... did you have the hard drive backed up? I recently lost mine and it was a catastrophe since I had been "meaning to back it up" for about 6 months.

Good luck with the delivery. I've heard it can be painful, but oh so worth it in the end!

11:21 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

Congratulations, dear.

I suggest something ironic, like Pear.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Brock said...

If you're getting a Mac, you might want to wait till Friday - they're doing a post-Thanksgiving sale. I don't know if the savings will be worth fighting your way into the store, but you could always order it online.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

Coincidentally, today happens to be Name Your PC Day.

I suggest Crash or Flo.

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Gooseberried said...

Awww, terribly sorry! Mine is going to die quite soon. What brand was the one that passed? I suggest Dora.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Heather Anne: Thank you. You always come up with the best names, I was hoping you would stop by and comment.

Honeykbee: Hmmm...good, I'm liking that.

Angela: Uhhh, negative. Actually on Friday night before its passing, I had to quick get all of my Spain pictures off. Thankfully, there was nothing else that I really needed on there, so all is well.

Kris: Pear? Aurora Pear Lester is a cute little name for a cute little laptop.

Brock: I actually heard about that, I'm thinking of waiting. It's just that so many days without a computer (my mom's broke as well, but she never used it in the first place) makes me sad. We'll see.

Bone: As always, so helpful.

Gooseberried: The one that just passed was a 2001 Sony Vaio. It's still too hard to talk about.

How about this all, once I get my new baby, I'll take a gander and then pick a name and let you all know. k? Your prize is my undying love and affection and a admiration.
Keep the names coming.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous guinness girl said...

Well, is the laptop male or female? My vote: Oliver or Humphrey if a boy. Esther or Geraldine if a girl. Smoochie or The Screaming Ninja if genderless.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Teacher Jane said...

I recently made the switch to Apple, too, and am in love.

My baby's name?

Miss Mary.

That's right. You heard me. Miss Mary.

Which makes her full name...

Miss Mary Mac.

(And, although she is dressed in white, I still love her and sing to her occasionally.)

6:52 PM  
Blogger Dagny said...

While I have not have a computer die, I have had a TV die -- in the middle of the Sunday morning shows. My mother still recounts me sitting there in front of the darkened screen and wailing. I feel your pain.

I'm liking that suggestion of Miss Mary Mac.

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Gooseberried said...

I was just so surprised it's been around for a full five years. My laptop (purchased during my frosh year too) died after two years. Damn Dells.

1:53 AM  
Anonymous alyndabear said...

RIP old Barmore computer.

And hoorah for the new one, coming soon.

I expect pictures, if you please. Because I am the kind of dork who enjoys seeing pictures of new computers, that is all.

2:37 AM  
Blogger GirlGoyle said...

I just got a new one. I made the O/S switch from PC to Mac and I have to say it's a powerhouse. Though I still very much love my Dell that took me through Grad school and beyond, keeper of all my secrets, pictures and enabler of bill payments it was time to retire it. Though with sadness I know he will go to a good cause as I have decided to donate him to a friend who cannot and will not fork out the ridiculous mullah required to buy a new one. But seriously, what would we do without the PC now?

5:27 AM  
Anonymous bloggadocio said...

darling - you may want your next survey to be about extended warranties w/ Macs. Love the buggers, but tech support ain't so grand.

Also, let's talk laptop bags. Macs deserve better than your Office Depot special you know. I swear by my Spire sleeve, but UncommonGoods sells some sassy pieces as well.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

How about something Spanish, to go with your blog name?

'Putadora' would be a good nickname. Or just Dora. ;)

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.