My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, December 15, 2006

Acadiana*

(Another stab at food blogging. Work with me here people)

“Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.” ~Voltaire

I made the decision to drag the Wry one to Acadiana the other evening under the guise that because it’s owned by Jeff Tunks and Gus DeMillo, then it must be excellent. While Geoff Tracy holds a very special place in my heart and has been with me through thick and thin for five years, I cannot pass up what I’ve dubbed the Oysters of Love™. The oysters are still in the shell and I’ve dried before to explain the way they swim in a sea of garlic butter and are broiled with parmesan cheese on top, and how looking at them and dipping the loaf of French bread into the garlic butter makes my heart melt. It’s probably not perfect by any means, but I’ve never been an avid oyster eater this a manifestation of my lack of sexual prowess. But still the oysters that I consumed prior to the redfish - that really isn’t worth the mention, a) because I don’t remember it (due to alcohol consumption) and b) it just wasn’t that good – were as always mouth watering. I feel that if I can recall a dish weeks – nay months – later and still reminisce fondly about how every time I see these oysters I salivate, then that it is a good thing and that makes a food worth it. If all I can remember about the red fish was that it was light and probably good enough that I ate it, then one could say that it was just average and not worth three prolific pieces on how much in love I am. But that’s just me.

Despite the omitted and possibly repressed fish, it’s always nice to be able to go into a restaurant and be comfortable. It may have been the company; because there really is nothing better than drinking with the Wry one and imitating Citizen Kane (“Rose…bud”) and discussing whether or not Joe or Steve is better (JOE!), but I digress. There’s just something comforting about the atmosphere there, which is unpretentious. Contrary to popular belief, I’m not all that pretentious, especially when it comes to my food (have I mentioned the filet-o-fish yet? Yes? Really?). But I enjoy going into a restaurant and having that nice atmosphere. I think that’s why I always loved Chef Geoffs, not that the food was perfect – though they did have banana wontons with caramel ice cream for years and that was beyond perfect – the service worked for me because most of the servers were my classmates and I felt rather at home there.

Though I’m beginning to think that I feel at home at places when I’m with people that I adore and restaurants that I frequent. And really I’m not sure where I’m going with this, except to say that OYSTERS. I repeat: OYSTERS.

And because I’m nosey, I would like to know a few things:

a) Your favorite restaurant (name, location)

b) Your favorite dish there

c) If you had to choose between Grey Goose and Tonic and Wine, which would you choose? Because I chose the former and regretted it for 36 entire hours until I had my first mojito last night.



*fuuuuuuuuck and it’s Blog Crush day and Ummm I forgot, but was just reminded. So, who do I have a crush on? Jonniker (Close runner up: Schnozz). I will write more about her later, and by later I mean Monday (ish) which makes it rather moot, but whatever, I try.


Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous jonniker said...

In Aruba, my favorite restaurant is Madame Janette's. My dish there was shrimp in a gouda-cream sauce in a clay earthenware dish thing, and holy shit, it was amazing. But mostly, what's amazing about the place is that I was on my honeymoon under the stars and twinkly lights, and it was all romantic and shit, and I'm not even that type of person.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous guinness girl said...

Ahhh. I love me some food.

Atlanta: Rathbun's. Favorite dish...damn. I'd have to say...either the veal chop, with a side of either hand-cut fries with homemade blue cheese or the lobster & roasted green chile soft taco with a side of creamed white corn & gouda cheese.

Ooh! Or Sotto Sotto - favorite dish is the brown butter & sage ravioli. Or the trout.

Philadelphia: I don't have one yet, but Wilman's fave is Dmitri's (the Queen's Village location - the pan-fried fish of the day with an appetizer of littleneck clams is the best). My fave for non-fancy restaurants is either Society Hill Hotel (sculley fries = delicious) or Pico de Gallo (pork, black bean, and plantain burrito).

Ooh, i am hungry.

New York - probably Balthazar, or Mercer Kitchen. Mmmm. Ooh, or Mesa Grill. Okay, probably any food there.

4:18 PM  
Blogger EDW said...

"Though I’m beginning to think that I feel at home at places when I’m with people that I adore and restaurants that I frequent."

Word.

I stay the hell away from the Grey Goose when drinking with Wry, perhaps because the first time I met him I got completely wasted, and realized he was one of the few people who could keep up with me drinking-wise. Good times. I stick with Tanqueray, but given your choice, would have made the same mistake. And never let him buy you two drinks at once.

I'm rather low-end about my food and eating establishments, but here's my "short" list:

Monk's in Philadelphia, the mussels and Belgium beer.

Le Fandy in Fair Haven, NJ. Anything, really but I adore their fish specials.

Merichka's in Crest Hill, Il. The po'boy on a roll with garlic butterine. My family has been going here for that as long as they have been serving it.

I love escargot, and thus love those small, unpretentious French restaurants that populate every city.

Lobster roll from the snack stand on the beach in Ogunquit, ME.

Pizza from The Brothers in Red Bank, NJ. or Pete and Elda's in Neptune, NJ.

Corned beef sandwiches from The Dublin House in Red Bank, NJ.

Barncle Bill's in Rumson, NJ for hamburgers with chedder cheese sauce.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

I'll be back to fill this in for real, but had to comment quickly.

Did you just really ask me if I'd choose GG&T or wine?

Or maybe that was meant for the Internets as a whole . . .

6:10 PM  
Blogger Mocha said...

Originally, I planned on coming here to discuss the fact that you apparently met up with my gal pal Sarah (of Goon Squad fame) and then you go and discuss food when it's so early in the morning and I haven't had much to eat lately and am famished.

I don't know which one to pout about. I'll be sitting in the corner mulling it over.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Mocha said...

Oh, fuckity fuck. That comment spam word verification thingie? At the end the letters were: PBJ.

Like I needed to reminded of that sandwich.

7:19 AM  
Anonymous zandria said...

I'm sorry this is off-topic, Heather, but I wanted to leave you a message!

I've been reading your posts on BlogHer since you started as a contributor there, but I was inspired to get in touch with you when I read your post about the need for "a gathering place for non-mommybloggers." (All-inclusive, of course!). I was excited to hear about Stacy's plan for Indie Bloggers, and I did some pimpage for the site just a little while ago. I think this'll be a great place, and I wanted to thank you for bringing it up.

P.S. I'm a new DC metro-area resident (Alexandria), as of a few months ago. If you're going to be involved in any future blogger meet-ups, I'd be interested in knowing about it. :)

2:55 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

The crawfish etouffee at Tim's Cajun Kitchen in Huntsville, AL!

;-)

11:56 AM  
Blogger changapeluda said...

La Simpatia in Guadalupe, California....jack cheese in the most scrumtious chile relleno (besides of course my mom's) a cold beer from Pancho's Hideaway, (the darkened bar in the back)
Los Humildes on the jukebox (Ambicion), Aztec art (Hottie Latina sacrifice)....a side of beans and rice, chips (to scoop up the beans como que no)& salsa and mmmm que la fregada I am in Beaner Heaven!

1:26 PM  
Blogger changapeluda said...

Oh yeah and

C.

Me + Vodka = fishbrained fucktard

and not the good kinda fish, either.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.