My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Fahrenheit

" We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for something to eat and drink..." ~Epicurus

Kimber is the type of person you’d want to be friends with in the event of untimely serious issues or when you really want to drink and smoke inside of a bar (the horror! And no longer, because it's illegal!) but not alone because when you drink alone, people consider you an alcoholic. She’s been my best friend for going on four years and knows things about me that I would never readily admit to anyone, including that when I lived alone I only did dishes when I finally ran out of cups and even then, I only did the cups and we’ve had more than one serious conversation about the state of the Middle East with her on the potty and the door open.

Since graduating, the time I used to spend with any friends of mine which once thrice daily culminating with wine at a Georgetown bar, has since been reduced to the occasional get together that needs to be planned weeks in advance because suddenly we’re all very busy; very busy with my Netflix queue and blogging of course. Even when planned well in advance, someone always ends up canceling because of this whole necessity to have Dental Insurance and a 401K. Financial stability is all the rage and at times trumps friendship.

This means that I haven’t seen Kimber since my birthday, in October. And since Kimber enjoys Movado and Coach bags that could fit a small child, she’d also enjoy a meal out that isn’t quesadillas and especially at the Ritz Carlton with the bathroom attendant and heat lamps under the taxi stand and warm towels with which to dry ones French manicured hands. Now that it’s January there really is no better time to meet up with people that you haven’t seen since 1978 for it is Restaurant Week, don’t you know and nothing screams, I will shed these unwanted pounds like a Mushroom tart that involves a flaky buttery crust and melted smoked gouda courtesy of Terrence Feury at Fahrenheit.

I’ve gone on ad nauseum about how I love Jeff Tunks and Geoff Tracy, because I feel comfortable in their restaurants and of course there is trepidation with eating at the Ritz, because do they allow people with roughly $8 to their name at the Ritz? I doubt it. But I do it for Kimber and also because I saw the aforementioned Mushroom tart on the menu. I’m a sucker for flaky crust of any sort especially when it melts in your mouth and I am also obsessed with mushrooms. My hat goes off to anyone who can sear scallops – mine usually come out in the rubbery form that forces me to question any chance I have at becoming a good housewife who can make scallops. The scallops were tender and set in a bed of some sort of tomato salsa concoction which was spicy yet sweet with a hint of pepper and gave the scallops this delicious tangy flavor despite not being deep fried. There were also potato sticks involved and if I hadn’t been in the Ritz, I would have licked the plate.

Shockingly enough, I ran my fingers over my dessert plate while Kimber went to the little girl’s room and then of course snuck a bite out of her key lime pie. I contemplated the Panna Cotta but instead opted for the chocolate tart. Chocolate crust with apool of dark molten chocolate in the middle that spilled over the sides when it’s chocolate dam broke. Right into hazelnut and butterscotch gelato. It was a chocolate butterscotch river and never have I prayed so fervently for a canoe to tip over in such a mixture, because I would gladly swim around and enjoy.

My thing about eating out is not only the food, but also the service and the atmosphere, because what else are you paying for?? Upon Kimber’s arrival she found me sitting in the lobby with a glass of Spanish Tempranillo and the man who would be our server was smiling ardently and we were already the best of friends and he’s now invited to my wedding. I’m a cranky person who is also impatient and so I like to be taken care of immediately and if I have a glass of wine before my ass warms the seat, then damn, I’m happy. Given that I couldn’t even remember one of the restaurants I went to for Restaurant Week the last time, I would say that writing about the melt in your mouth crust at Fahrenheit and it’s impeccable service, makes this Restaurant Week a success.

*Don't forget, still delurking week. So delurk or risk eternal whore-dom.

*I should mention that people always ask me, because apparently I know these things, when RW is. I do not have some super insider information. I just actively stalk DC Foodies.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Nicole P. said...

Hi, I'm a total lurker! I had tried commenting before I had a blog account and the comments section would inevitably eat my commenting attempt.

So here I am, trying again! Love your blog! You make me miss DC since I haven't been in 3 years now.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I wish I could get as pumped up about food as you do. I have this problem where I can never finish more than half of anything I eat (usually because I get bored), so I don't usually bother treating myself to a great meal when I'm not going to eat it anyway.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Dagny said...

Sounds like a fantastic meal. Now I'm starving and need to forage for food in my fridge.

9:57 AM  
Blogger metalia said...

I've commented once or twice before, but hi nonetheless! I love your writing, and this post? Just...yum! It made me really want to go out and have a meal involving some quality food (she said, as she ate her third Oreo)...

12:00 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Nicole P: I understand. Blogger is the devil. The end.

Eric: I love and get pumped about good food. But I also get pumped about filet-o-fish. So, yeah...

Dagny: It was really, really, really good. Like really good. Like I might go back when a single entree is the same as the RW meal price.

Metlaia: I keep meaning to delurk on your site. But something always comes up like eating oreas for example.

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

I had to give away my reservation to Vidalia for tonight. Sad.

I'm going to one of the restaurants that extended RW til next week next Friday though. I just wish more restaurants would offer vegetarian options that are actually worth more than $30 so that I felt like I was actually getting a deal.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Stephanie Vidalia is awful. I went there for dinner a few weeks ago, good food, but poor choice for Vegetarians. I suggest TenPenh or Ceiba. I'm a pescatarian, only because I went to spain and feared starving to death, and have eaten fish ever since...anyway, I ended up fine at most restaurants.

I'm trying to think of other restaurants that have good veggie options that aren't a lame plate of steamed vegetables. IndeBleu or B. Smith's are also good.

Like I said, check DC Foodies (www.dcfoodies.com). I told you, I stalk him and sometimes show up at his front door and he's totally ok with that.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Mocha said...

I'm all aglow with the words "mushroom tart". And "flaky crust". It's like I'm turned on. Stop doing that.

Whore-dom fits me just fine. I want you to know you didn't scare me into de-lurking, though I'm not offically a de-lurker. I've commented before. I best see a reply, too, damnit.

;-)

Cuz, I like, totally dig you, Zygote Supreme.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

The secret to scallops is not skill but the quality of your pan.

I know what you mean about atmosphere and service - most times I think the food is something I could have made better myself at home, so I at least like to be treated nicely.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Arethusa said...

I've lurked. And now I'm saying hi. And I love your blog.

Back to lurking...

7:47 PM  
Anonymous LisaBinDaCity said...

I love restaurant week. I've already got several reservations in NYC. Can't wait!

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

(And a week later, I respond...)

We picked Vidalia b/c they actually put their RW menu up and had veggie options on it... more than just the steamed veggie plate. But alas, the boyfriend went out of town so I gave it to some friends.

I'm a regular stalker of DC Foodies too, but as he's a meat-eater, he usually has little info on the vegetarian options of a place. But I usually check out the places he gives good reviews and see what they offer.

I went to TenPenh last RW. It was really good, but I ordered off the regular menu since it was only $1 to be able to pick any dessert I wanted. That's what I mean about RW not really being a deal for me. *sigh* It was pretty much only a grilled veggie plate... not that interesting of an entree, but loads of food and the appetizers were good.

I'm checking out Willow in Ballston this Friday (extended RW). I've heard mixed reviews. Again, I'm probably going to just order off the regular menu for a dollar or so more, but their menu looks interesting and indicates what's vegetarian, which always impresses me.

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.