My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, February 05, 2007

Almost like 40

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm.” ~Henry David Thoreau

How it occurred, I am not acutely aware but at some point my nearest and dearest went from being solely in my age bracket to upwards of 30. Of course all of the former are people that I love and admire. I’m not kissing any ass when I say that their wisdom and reliability as good friends have made me a better person. One who tests the boundaries of trust a little more and knows that drinking eight glasses of water a day will lead to eternal hotness; or at least the ability to look 19 when about to hit 33. No matter, they’re lovely people.

My age has never been a point of discussion unless an intense discourse on Silver Spoons or Jake Ryan comes up and even then I just smile and nod and remark how hot Rick (sorry, Ricky) Shroeder was in NYPD Blue. Which leads to Mark Paul Gosseler discussion and well I’ve seen every episode of Saved by the Bell and we carry on. It’s something that one rarely notices, especially I that is until recently when the subject of birthdays came up. Specifically how excitement dwindles after a certain age.

A good friend happens to have a birthday well into his fourth decade next week. Kid looks about 24 and acts about 13 on a good day (I say that with love) so I tend to forget that he will be over a decade older than I. In fact he’s probably reading this now and contemplating ways in which to kick me in the head from afar. Ad nauseum requests of his excitement and birthday plans are all for naught because apparently the clichés are true: as one gets older birthdays tend to just become another day. Or so he said when I counted down to the minute how long until his birthday and he depressed the hell out of my by pointing out that after 25 birthdays are no longer exciting or something to look forward to. So remind me to toss myself in front of a bus somewhere around October 26, 2009, because life goes downhill from there.

Of course I beg to differ solely based on what I’ve heard from others in the over 25 set, but I thought that this would be something to throw out to the internet. Especially since right now I am this close to writing a long bitter diatribe of a novel because there’s so little time until I begin to give up on life and the date of my birth. And lord knows that y’all don’t want me writing novels. Unless novels can have the word fuck thrown in every other word and then I suppose it’s all good.

22 Comments:

Blogger Aileen said...

Ah! But I disagree! I still find birthdays fun and exciting. How often do you really get to celebrate (with friends and loved ones) the simple fact that you exist! :)

Also- I find that as I get older, I take pride in my birthdays. It feels like a celebration of all I've learned, experienced...and not to mention how good I look!

By the way- I turned 40 in November. And I feel like I'm about 28.

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

I'm turning 27 next month and I totally want to have a bowling party with cupcakes and pizza for my birthday. And beer, too, of course.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Dagny said...

I beg to differ. My take on birthdays is that I want them to be huge spectacles. Times when I can say, "Neener neener neener! Don't I look fabulous for my age? Didn't you think that I was at least ten years younger?" So as long as that's true, I will continue to be excited about birthdays.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Gooseberried said...

My roommate and I decided that we like the word fuck. So write on baby, write on.

1:33 AM  
Blogger GirlGoyle said...

There is no word out there like the word fuck. At the least it adds emphasis to a sentence so, you can go ahead and write on! As for ageing....after 25 it is just another day though I have to admit that 30 something isn't so bad either. I'm finally feeling like a woman and not a girl. Then again, I'm slow like that.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Jezer said...

I will have my 36th birthday next month, and by God, there better be a cake! and presents! and singing! and general pampering of me because My Birthday effing rocks. At least to me it does. No matter how old I get, I still get excited about my birthday. And like Aileen, for me age is becoming something to be proud about.

And novels with the word fuck used generously are cool too.

6:50 AM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

Ugh. I try and drink 8 glasses of water a day. At least 5. But the good news is that my skin looks good and I'm semi-hydrated.

Getting older is not for sissies.

8:52 AM  
Blogger EDW said...

I also like a very big celebration of my birthday - think month long. That way, if the exact day sucks, I have the rest of the month to make up for it. And everyone knows, way in advance, that it's coming. The older I get, the more celebration I demand.

This post made me want to eat the rest of my Mom's birthday cake that's sitting in my house.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous zandria said...

Why must people make silly comments like, "It's all downhill after 25?" I've had that said to me, but I haven't said it to anybody else. Maybe THEIR lives haven't been great, but that doesn't mean somebody else can't enjoy the second half of their life even better than the first! :)

9:16 AM  
Blogger Brunch Bird said...

While Fitzgerald's editors balked at The Great Fucking Gatsby, I think the times have changed and you may now write that novel.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Heather Anne said...

Oh, I'd read your novel. I'd wait in line to buy it.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I like myself more and more the older I get.

And if you're lucky, 25 is just the first quarter of your life. :)

9:51 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

So, general consensus seems to be that I should both go on with life past 25 and write a novel with fuck added sporadically for extra emphasis.

Got it.

I can say that I'll probably be one of those people who looks about 23 when I turn 30. Right now I look about 14 and I'm 23. And well my mother still looks pretty damn good at 51, so there's hope for me. Maybe that will keep me from dreading my birthday every year.

They're fun and exciting and you get pampered and there is CAKE involved! And presents! And more CAKE!

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Rhea said...

I am in my 40s and feel like I'm in my 20s. It's all in our heads.

3:10 PM  
Blogger metalia said...

Oh, Heather. Please please write a novel! I'd totally read it.

Also: Mmmm, birthday cake.

9:56 PM  
Blogger kris said...

Wait, what is the 25 set again?

I'm having trouble conceptualizing things. Oh, and hearing. And walking.

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Abigail said...

Always CAKE.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous jes said...

I used to always think I wouldn't live past 30. But considering it's only a year and a half away, maybe it's possible, afterall.

Unless something tragic happens.

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Marci said...

Ok, I love you forever for those little words of "eternal hotness" up there. And now if you move away to Albany there will MOST CERTAINLY be a murder, plus I'll totally make out with Kiki Barber at my conference and then send you pictures in heaven or hell or limbo--you know just to make it hurt.

Also, as you might have noticed sometime durung mid-August this past summer, that I am super into birthdays...especially mine. I think this is a product of not having birthday parties as child though and not any sort of self-service or effervescence on my part. And you? You have this disarming maturity about you. We've had this convo, never would have pegged you as right out of college. Not that that has anything to do with anything.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

So I'm glad you've all confirmed that I was right. I doubt that he was saying that everything goes downhill after 25, but my lord that can depress the shit out of anyone. And come to think of it my parents are still birthday people. Not to mention that they both had very fulfilling lives after the age of 25, namely the birth of their precious daughter.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Leah said...

Seems to me people don't stop caring about their birthdays until they have kids. In my group of friends, those who turned thirty without kids had huge bashes; those who turned thirty with kids let the even pass with nary a feeble "meh." Maybe this says less about how spawn influence their parents' birthdays and more about what type of people choose to spawn and when. What do I know; I still tell people my age in halvsies.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Postmodern Sass said...

Not to depress you, but one's fourth decade is when one is 30-something... :-)

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.