My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, February 26, 2007

Some people may remember this night

This post brought to you by the letter 'H' for 'Hmmm...maybe she'll stop bitching and start drinking again and be funny, then maybe I won't want to poke my eyeballs out after every other paragraph'

“A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you've been taking.” ~Earl Wilson


Sunday evening I was directed toward a Facebook photo album courtesy of a friend from another life. ‘Another life’ that involved packing up my possessions and going to play with the monkeys in Gibraltar and wondering around in the dark night after picnics on the beach. The photos had been long forgotten. But as soon as I saw Clay making the word ‘poop’ out of his fingers like gang signs, I remembered the bottle of Bacardi that we hid in the tree and how much we drank in the hotel. And that Thekla covered herself in yogurt to help the sun burn and I too this day, do not recall how we got home that night.

What happened that night is unimportant and only the five of us would remember, but it was the deluge of memories that took over me. Like the nights of wandering around Madrid drunk at 3 AM or the Valentine’s Day spent in an Amsterdam coffee shop or the numerous bus trips through the Moroccan mountains without getting shot. All of which done without a care in the world and frivolous at best.

Things have been shitty. Not “I have cancer and my boyfriend died and my dog got shot by a cop and I have worms coming out of my eyeballs” shitty, but severely inconvenienced and stressed out shitty. It’s more like the type of shitty that you explain to others and they say ‘That’s nice, take a fucking number’*. I’d enjoy that life of frivolity again. The ability to say ‘fuck it’ and drink grey goose and tonic like water. I say these things like a 47 year old with kids and a mortgage trying to pay the Pepco bill, trapped in a 23 year olds body.

So I’m doing what any normal person my age who realizes their incessant bitching is really fucking annoying, would do; I bought a ticket to Boca: Because nothing screams, “I’m embracing my responsibility and saving my money by investing in my 401K” like spending your last $14 on a vacation.

*as said by Schnozz** and her infinite wisdom.

**leave it to her and her crazy editor skills to notice that there was even an asterisk there in the first place.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous maliavale said...

Please direct me post-haste to the website where you found a $14 flight.

"Take a fucking number" sums it how I've felt lately, and probably how you've felt about yours as compared to when other people surely bitch to you, too.

Good for you for doing something about it; I fully support the running away and plan to do lots of it myself.

10:46 PM  
Blogger GirlGoyle said...

Good for you for just going with it. I'm still in the bitching stages and wish i had the cojones to grab life by the horns and go on a trip and just say Phuck it!

6:28 AM  
Blogger Dagny said...

Sometimes you've just got to get away.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Jennie said...

See, I always spend my last $14 on booze.

9:55 AM  
Anonymous zandria said...

But it sounds like that's exactly what you need! Your mind and your spirit knows when you need a vacation. I think too many people try to work/live through these moments and not take a break, because they think it's the right thing to do, when it's really not at all. If you come back energized and refreshed, it will be way worth it. :)

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Schnozz said...

I would have been so interested to see what came after that little asterisk. But sadly, I don't see one. Which is a shame because it hopefully would have included a defense of my honor. I was quoting the populace! I was not expressing a sentiment of my own! I swear!

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Marci said...

Boooooooooooooooooooca!

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Schnozz said...

Haha, I think it was less my crazy editor skills and more me thinking, "Oh my God. That asterisk is not going to attribute those words to ME, is it? BECAUSE I WAS QUOTING THE GENERAL POPULACE."

Cue frantic scanning for footnote that explains that I was actually SYMPATHIZING with you over the INDIFFERENCE of the cruel WORLD.

No such footnote found! And then I managed to bring on the unthinkable by saying something about it. Uh, well played, self.

Also, that link currently leads to a post about how wonderful I think masturbation is. I am so awesome.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Lux Lisbon said...

From what I remember of Boca (i lived in Miami once upon a time) was 89 year old leathery skinned men with pot bellies hanging over their Speedos and a Cheesecake Factory. Somehow I don't think you're going for the men. ;)

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.