My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://nopasanada.org/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

True love

“He felt now that he was not simply close to her, but that he did not know where he ended and she began.” ~Leo Tolstoy

On Monday evening, I drove home and noticed a compact car behind me. At the light I noticed it was a family: a husband driving, the wife in the passenger seat and a boy, about 12, leaning against the back window.

At the next light, they were directly behind me in my rearview mirror. It was that moment that I glanced over at the mother with her index finger up her left nostril: She was a pirate in search of her buried treasure. Convinced there’s gold up there, she keeps on digging.

And I sat in complete awe. While her husband kept chatting away. When she finished she pulled her entire finger from out of her nostril – still nasal mucus runs deep, apparently – she looked at the contents on her finger. Inspecting thoroughly and I half expected for her to bust out a macro lens, just to get a good look at her specimen. Then wiped it on the car interior and continued conversing with her husband.

Neither were dismayed by what had just occurred. They smiled, the husband chatted away and yet no look of horror or disgust nor did he push her out the car in the middle of Pennsylvania Avenue or bust out the Purell.

I suppose that’s what we all want in life though: Someone who looks past our faults We just want someone who can see that there is more than just gross things and boogers and imperfections. It’s human nature to need someone who has We all just want and need someone who can love us and ignore our foibles and realize that we all just need to do a little deep digging every once in awhile.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous gorillabuns said...

and someone that doesn't mind if we fart in bed.

not that i do that sort of disgusting thing....

and wiping the gold on the car's interior? strum the theme for deliverance. truly disgusting!

1:59 AM  
Anonymous marci said...

Dude, if all you are looking for in love is someone who doesn't care if you pick your nose, you've GOT to raise your standards.

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Abi Jones said...

That's certainly something to think about the next time I'm in the market for a used car.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Wryter said...

Very philosophical today, HB! Fantastic roundup.

Still, it never ceases to amaze me the number of people who pick their noses in their cars. That's why they invented tinted windows, people!!!

And I'll never get over the collection commonly left behind next to a urinal in a typical Men's room. (Sh*t, don't people know that you're supposed to be drawing in the grout like it's some kind of maze... not picking your noses?!?)

1:40 PM  
Anonymous CGHill said...

This is, by a considerable margin, the most lyrical snot story I have ever read.

I am in awe. :)

8:00 PM  
Blogger SUEB0B said...

Hm...I don't know if I want someone to love me that much or NOT love me that much...

10:29 PM  
Anonymous LisaBinDaCity said...

Methinks she aint got no class ;-)

And she's lucky ANYONE married her lol.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Dagny said...

Yep. There's someone for everyone. At least that's what I like to think.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

That's too much. A burp or a fart here and there ok. But a big ol' booger sticking to the interior of the car that I might have to clean up later is too much!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Dude. I just happened to be eating my grilled veggie Trader Joe's wrap when I read this. Suddenly, it tasted like it was stuffed with boogers.

You owe me a lunch.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Helen Skor said...

You should have rolled down the window and asked her if she "picked a winner."

Love is a beautiful thing.

6:24 PM  
Blogger metalia said...

That story is all kinds of gross, but the way you told it made it strangely beautiful. (The message, that is; not the act of wiping snot in the car. Because: ew.)

8:56 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Ok let's be honest here people, what everyone wants is someone to look past the flaws. Including severe nose picking.

Kind of like how I hope to find someone who doesn't mind that I have never seen my bedroom floor due to the clothes that come up to my shins and that I only do the dishes when I've run out of wine glasses. Also that I truly believe that a bottle of wine is only sufficient for ONE person.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.